WHAT BULLET BRAND WORKS FOR YOU? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

WHAT BULLET BRAND WORKS FOR YOU?

Over many decades of hand loading i have used many different brands of bullets. I have loaded for 22 caliper,6mm and mostly 30 caliper rounds.
The 30's being my favorite,because my first rifle was an 03-a3 Army surplus rifle and my family all had 30's.
I have loaded Remington,Winchester,Speer,Sierra and Hornady brands! I even load and shoot cast lead bullets i make my self.
I've put together rounds with Round nose bullets,Boat tails and flat base ones! Between the boat tails and the flat base bullets i can see very little difference in their performance.
Over the years my favorite has become the Sierra flat base in the 150 or 165 grain SP in my 308 or 30-06.These just seem like i can get them to fly better than other brands of bullets? I am sure that every brand of bullet is a clone of the ones put into each box be it Hornady,Winchester Speer or Sierra?
In the 1980s, i bought Reminton brand and liked them .for the price.Shot well and took animals down quite well. As the decades moved along,i started to loose faith in them? I had a hard time getting them hold groups of say 1 or 2 inches. There was always a few that went way out of the grouping,a lot,like 5 inches! I would check my powder,my brass and primers my dies and my technique! All seemed the same? One day i opened a box of 165 grain Rems and happened to look at them. The bottoms of some of them were not flat or had a ring or ridge around it.Then i weighted them and measured a bunch of them. I came up with a bunch of different weights and different over all length of the slugs.I was having trouble with my 243 Win also,but even worse groups? I popped open a new box of 6mm-100 gr. and they were even worse than the 30 cals.
My use of Remington bullets came to end that day! I never used many Speers,but i would venture to say they are a good bullet company,even though i had heard they had had problems years back? Hornady's are good but i don't like the canalure on them. So i have just stayed with the Sierra company.
I have not used Barnes solid copper bullets. I don't load my rounds fast enough to open them up?
As to Nosler,they are good but ,IMHO,are too destructive!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: WHAT BULLET BRAND WORKS FOR YOU?

Been loading for many years. I use good old cheap Speer. Load them in everything from 223 to 338 win mag. Don't think there is any need to use those $$$$ bullets. Its all about shot placement.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:04 AM

All depends what I'm doing...use opartitions and x-bullets for hunting, ballistic idiot bullets for target and all the rest to make noise with .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:55 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have used a few different brands/types, mostly Hornady and Nosler. A few Speers, and a few Sierras.

For deer hunting, I really can't find anything that works better and more reliably than a Nosler Partition. Everyone complains about two things with them--- either that they cost too much or that they don't shoot well for them.

I buy them as "seconds" at very reasonable prices, and with some load work I've so far had great success in getting at least acceptable, if not better, groups from the Partition.

I'm pretty much a Nosler fan at this point. My favorite bullets for big game, in no particular order, are:

Nosler Partition
Nosler Accubond
Nosler Ballistic Tip
Hornady Interbond
Speer HotCor (30 cal and up)

I do NOT like:

Sierra GameKing-bad experience with them
Hornady SST- spotty performance for me with these
Anything monometal- used the Hornady GMX and it's lethal, but it doesn't make big holes at all
Hornady Interlock- I have still probably killed the most deer with these, but they break often for me
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
I have used a few different brands/types, mostly Hornady and Nosler. A few Speers, and a few Sierras.

For deer hunting, I really can't find anything that works better and more reliably than a Nosler Partition. Everyone complains about two things with them--- either that they cost too much or that they don't shoot well for them.

I buy them as "seconds" at very reasonable prices, and with some load work I've so far had great success in getting at least acceptable, if not better, groups from the Partition.

I'm pretty much a Nosler fan at this point. My favorite bullets for big game, in no particular order, are:

Nosler Partition
Nosler Accubond
Nosler Ballistic Tip
Hornady Interbond
Speer HotCor (30 cal and up)

I do NOT like:

Sierra GameKing-bad experience with them
Hornady SST- spotty performance for me with these
Anything monometal- used the Hornady GMX and it's lethal, but it doesn't make big holes at all
Hornady Interlock- I have still probably killed the most deer with these, but they break often for me
That sums it up for me as well.I've had very spotty and inconsistent terminal results with Interlocks,SST's,coreloks,gamekings and ballistic tips.The best combination I've had as far as consistant accuracy and consistant terminal performance has been accubonds.I've been tinkering with Barnes tsx's lately and they've really impressed me with their terminal performance,especially with smaller calibers but they can be a little finicky.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Barnes X, all the way for me. TSX or TTSX. Either way, as I'm not shooting long distance.

The thing I don't like about Nosler Partition is the small exit holes. They shed their whole front section and the only thing that exits is like a pencil eraser. Lots of bullets these days retain more weight and keep a bigger mushroom all the way through the target.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:07 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

How fast are you moving them?

I've had Partitions at near 3k from my 300WSM hit deer close (under 50 yards) and make quarter-sized exit wounds.

I've yet to totally blow the front half off except in the bullets I've recovered from the dirt/rocks behind the target frame. In game, I've always had quarter- to half dollar-sized exits.

The GMX gave me caliber in, caliber out. Made a freakin' mess in between, but the drain holes were too small for my liking.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:05 PM
The Man

I don't bother to do much loading anymore. But use to load a few hundred rounds a week.
Certain guns like some better then others but Ive always had good accuracy with Sierra. HPBT Matchkings. 168gr.

I've messed with some barnes and in my inline they are not the most accurate but destroy deer.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:44 PM
The Man

I use whatever works.....

Currently I have loads that are using......

Sierra Game King
Speer Grand Slam
Barnes TSX & TTSX
Nosler Ballistic Tip
Winchester Power Point
Hornady BTHPM
Sierra Match King
Nosler AccuBond

.....and others, I am sure

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 AM

I've tried many along the way in factory loads...

Once I started handloading I have a drawer full of ballistic tips and accubonds..

I've found I can swap the 2 completely interchangeably....even for load development... accuracy stays the same..same POI..works for me..saves some money...i double check..

I have been deer hunting with the accubonds probably since around the time they came out..or I first heard of them...

.284, .308, .358cal...i did see odd results with the 308 and haven't figured out why...the 280rem and 35 whelen are lightning bolts with accubonds..only 1 deer has ran after being hit with them and it was a "Texas heart shot" essentially on a buck I was gunna pass till I saw his guts hanging out...

The 308...i shot a buck in the neck broadside just in front of the shoulder..bullet didn't exit...he dropped stone cold dead..but there is what...6" of meat here? I know the bone mass of the vertebrae and all that is a tough thing..but 45.5gr of Varget and a 165gr bullet at 15yds or so?? Bullet turned out pretty nice but didn't exit.. basically looked like a grenade went off but bullet was intact..

I think earlier the same season it was the 2nd or 3rd day...my buddy and I were alone...we both picked spots to sit and the other pushed...i picked a secluded standing corn field I was sure would be worthwhile...

Out runs a big coyote.. running at me angling slightly left..i stopped him as he was hard quartering towards me..put the cross hairs on the frotn left shoulder and touched her off..he hit the dirt and started rolling a bit..told my buddy "dead coyote! send me a buck now!".

That dang yote gained his wheels and ran down the field...angles and skyline I couldnt shoot again...not a whole lot of blood and we don't find him..

Almost 2 full weeks later on the last day I already killed my buck so I was pushing..no gun..i stopped to block the back door and let the crew catch up...he comes a yote..plain as day fist sized hole on the front left shoulder... obviously busted and very stiff..noone else got a shot..no doubt at all that it was the one I shot...how in the world....the bullet had to stop after blowing up the shoulder....again..same load... clearly an explosive hit..but no penetration...

Guessing the 308 bullet may be made for higher velocity???

I sold my 308 for now ...not due to that...but man..same load and 2 odd stories that should certainly been dead animals..I've killed a few deer and coyotes..it wasn't a shot placement error...it was certainly a bullet mishap of some sort...I'm thinking velocity..

I saw the effects of the accubonds in numerous deer and a coyote in the 280 and whelen...both are absolutely explosive and destructive but come out intact and leave a nice exit hole....lots of guys argue they aren't explosive...again..I've shot a few critters withthrm and have compared results during butchering to other bullets..they are absolutely violent...

The coyote I shot with the 280 was facing me hard..in just right of the front right shoulder..exited between ribs and hind quarter on left side...the entire carcass was bloodshot purple from the shock and that bullet didn't hit bone really...

Love them...just need to figure out what was wrong with the 308 loads...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page