300 wsm brass. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

300 wsm brass.

What's the deal,is win still making it?All I can find is Norma and Hornady for over 2 bucks a piece.I called midway and the guy there told me they stopped chambering guns in that caliber lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: 300 wsm brass.

I haven't had to buy any for a while.

Honestly, the Norma stuff is probably worth it, and I'd pay that for Norma way before I would for Hornady. I use Hornady brass and it's good, but Norma is better.

Brass as a whole is not cheap now. Good brass is even moreso going in that direction cost-wise.

A good place to watch for deals is Shooter's Pro Shop. I get brass (Nosler brass) from them every time I have some spare cash and they happen to get something in a chambering I use. You can often get really good prices, if they turn up some for the chamberings you need.

I had a lot of issues with Win-stamped 300WSM brass and gave up on it, to be honest. Mostly cracked necks.

I use Win brass in my 270 Winchester (not WSM) and it's been fine.

If you're pressed for time, go with the Norma. They make REALLY good brass. Bump the shoulder as little as your rifle will allow, and anneal every few load cycles and that stuff will last about forever.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

I've always used win in the 300wsm but the last batch all started to crack down the neck.I don't mind paying a little more but I don't want to pay 50bucks for 25 cases either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:56 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

That's honestly where the cost is for retail anymore.

The only thing you can do is look for deals or "seconds" at SPS.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Like TDD said, Norma is worth it, it's the best 300wsm brass on the market. The 300wsm is my favorite cartridge and believe me, I shoot it a lot. The last batch of brass I bought was 270wsm, necked it up with a 30 Cal expander and then then fired it. 270 Norma at that time was like $.40 or so a case cheaper. And it works great. I use it for competition and there is no issues with accuracy or longevity
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:35 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

This is also why 7WSM is expensive as hades. You can't (easily) form it from the other WSM's because they changed the neck/shoulder just a hair to prevent mistakes.

It can still be formed, but it's a pain in the hind end.

I've seen plain old Winchester brass for the 7WSM for sale for $2/ea. That's insane, but if you can't get it anywhere else, you pay to play.

Rumor has it that Nosler's brass is made by Norma. I can't confirm it, but it wouldn't shock me even a little if that were true.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have new RP 270 wsm brass for $1.25 each, and 1x fired Win (if memory serves) 270 & 300 wsm for $.75 each.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

I bit the bullet and paid a little over $200 for 100 pieces of Norma brass.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 11:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Money well spent, you'll get many reloads out of it
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 12:40 PM
The Man

Sometimes its a blessing when some cheap manufactures quit making our favorite brass and we have to buy the better stuff. I use a lot of 284 brass due to my 25 and 6mm wildcats off of the 284 case. In my area we all used the Winchester brass for years and my buddy with a gunshop who chambered all of these always said no problem getting brass. Then after Sandy Hook we could not get Winchester Brass and had to get the good stuff, best thing ever happened because the Winchester brass sucked and we was to cheap and hard headed to change. You will not go wrong buying good brass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page