Hornady LNL progressive press help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Hornady LNL progressive press help

I've reloaded single stage presses for along time and I am thinking about a progressive press for pistol and high volume shooting guns.

Other than the basic press kit, what all do I need to purchase to have this press up and running? I have 2-3 (depending ob the caliber) dies for each caliber. Do I need sheep plates? Do I need die holders? Do I need press specific dies?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hornady LNL progressive press help

Yes. I have one of these. (The Hornady LNL Progressive press's) I've had my Hornady LNL for....ghee....like about ten years now. I've kept mine up to date with the EZ-eject "system" (Hornady sent me a new bottom plate for free when I ask. Mine was new enough that I didn't have to pay for it.)

If you look at the description on MidwayUSA they pretty much tell you what the initial press come's with. You get the "Die Bushings" (easy to swap dies in and out) but what you will need to buy for each caliber is (of course) the dies, and then you will need the die plate that gets bolted on the bottom of the LNL. Some die plates will do several different calibers, some just one. I have several. I have 44-Mag\Spec., .223-Rem\5.56, 357-Mag\38-Spec, 45ACP, and a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. You will need the bushings for the dies for each set up as well.

What you won't need is a different powder drop for each different setup. Of course, you will need to adjust the powder drop when you do a caliber changeover.

As for dies, I have Hornady, RCBS, Redding that I use. Now, I do not have any Lee dies that I use on my LNL. I have Lee that I use on my single stage...and I honestly can't recall if Lee dies have any "issues" with the LNL or not. If so it would be in the die length. The new powder through dies from Hornady are great to work with. I also have a RCBS Lock out die (Not the Hornady "powder cop"...it's a POS) that I use to help monitor powder charges over or under. It's well worth the cost!!

Now, if your buying the new one with the EZ-eject system....do not buy any of the older plates (used or from Ebay from someone's old stock) that are not cut for the EZ-eject system. They will not work on the new EZ-eject model.

On my LNL I purchased the auto brass feeder. I like it as all I do is focus on placing the bullet on a powder case. And I rely on the Lock Out Die to "assist" me in catching any possible powder over\under charges. Believe me.....when the press just locks up....BANG...it gets your attention fast!!

If I didn't answer everything.....and likely so....maybe others will jump in. But, ask away if you have more questions.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. If you were to buy another press, would you buy this one again?

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon8777
Thanks for the advice. If you were to buy another press, would you buy this one again?
Yes. It's still going strong and loads fine ammo. I have no reason to say another press would be better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page