Case Trimmers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Case Trimmers

I am just getting into reloading and have been buying all the tools I need piece by piece. The only essential tool I have not bought yet is a case trimmer. Which ones do you guys use and what are the pros and cons of it? I am just going to be reloading a few hunting rifles. Mainly a 22-250 varmint rifle and a few deer rifles. So far the majority of my gear is RCBS but there is some Hornaday mixed in with it. I almost bought the Hornaday trimmer but decided against it because the box said it required their shell holders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Case Trimmers

I use L E Wilson, have to purchase shell holders, but it is a very good trimmer, and the shell holders covers several cartridges
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 05:12 PM

I have a forester trimmer and it works just fine. it works like a pencil sharpener and you need to buy the pilots for the calibers you reload. a set of digital calipers is also needed to get the casing to the right length.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 05:46 PM
The Man

I've used the Wilson for many years. The cheap Lee works, too, and does not require setting up the trimmer for different cartridge lengths each time. It's slower than the Wilson but foolproof...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you're only going to be loading for hunting and a little target work, just get a trimmer and a chamfer tool. You'll need some method to measure case length as well.
I do a lot of shooting so I have a dedicated Forster trimmer for each cartridge. Also, each trimmer is set up with a Forster 3 in 1 cutter that trims, chamfers and deburrs all in the same operation.Been using Forsters for 60 years. They are good trimmers.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use a Redding. Since I bought mine, they introduced a trimmer with a micrometer. Once you have it adjusted, you record the number and just adjust the length for future use. It's what I would buy if I didn't have one.

Will
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM

I've been happy with my Lyman trimmer for a couple decades.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 11:55 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have a Lyman. The power adapter is worth it. I used an electric drill to power it, but I've read of handloaders using electric screwdrivers to have it not spin so fast, which makes sense.

My family and friends kicked in together and got me a Hornady Prep Center a few years ago for my birthday. I haven't used the Lyman since.

By the way, I was told by someone whom I trust that pilots aren't necessary for trimmers. I thought it was kinda hard to believe, but I took a deep breath and some worn brass and tried it without the pilot (my Lyman), and you know what...he was right!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am still using the RCBS trimmer I bought back in the early 70s. Most decent reloading tools will last many life times if taken care of. You have many options today for a new trimmer, however you can also pick up a used one cheap. Just be sure you can still get pilots and collects for an older one if you go that way.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Since your looking I strongly suggest staying away from the collet style holder, you'll have a hard time keeping consistent lengths.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page