Crimping Pistol Cases Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Crimping Pistol Cases Question

I have Loaded for years now for rifles, but i just recently got a Leupold for my super red hawk 44 mag and hence started shooting it alot. got RCBS carbide dies.

i have everything down pat except one thing stumps me a little. after im done seating the bullets i remove the seater plug from the die to crimp the cases. how do you guys know when you have enough crimp on the case? i have loaded 20 rounds that worked fine but just not sure if im crimping to much or crimping to little.

i read the instructions but didnt get to much help on crimping just how to do it with the die.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM
The Man

Re: Crimping Pistol Cases Question

The amount of crimp I use depends upon several things...the intensity of the load, the powder used and the bullet being the three biggest considerations....

I've found I am better served using a heavier crimp in hunting loads, especially....lower pressure target loads require only enough crimp to keep the bullet from moving...I use a distinct crimp on all full-power loads from .38 Special upwards....

Aside from the obvious movement of the bullet in the cases under recoil in revolvers, a too-light crimp in a heavy load will sometimes cause wide variations in extreme velocity spreads...

I use roll crimp dies to apply the final crimp in my revolver loads after seating the bulet with the standard seating die...

Biggest handgun cartridge I load is the .475 Linebaugh and my methods work for me....

PS: You are also screwing in the sizing die deeper when you apply the final crimp, aren't you? Your initial crimp should be just slightly into the cannelure then finish the seating/crimp by adjusting the seating die down which will push the bullet to the middle/top of the cannelure....the cannelure should be slightly visible when you are finished crimping....Looking at a factory crimp and replicate its appearance is a good starting point....

Use taper crimp dies for cartridges headspacing on the case mouth-roll crimp for ones headspacing on the rim....shoulda stated that above...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 11:08 AM
The Man

I seat and crimp in one opeeration. Been doing it that way for a bunch of years.

I wish I could remember the exact meathod I used, but it's been quite awhile since I had to set of dies. I do know I made a dummy round (no powder or primer) until I got it right.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

Personally I like to seat and crimp in two different steps. I also use a separate crimping die. One thing to remember is to make sure all your cases are the same length. But I am assuming you already know that. I also prefer a heavy crimp. Especially for 44 magnum and 45 Colt loads. Especially 45 Colt.

Normally your handgun will tell you which crimp it likes best, by rewarding you with better accuracy. One thing to do if you have a chrono is to graph your loads with different crimps. Whichever load that gives the lowest Standard Deviation in velocity is normally always the most accurate, and consistent load. And different levels of crimping can adversley effect your SD's.

I also like to separate my brass-at least by headstamp. Put a good heavy roll crimp on your revolver cartridges and anneal your brass. It will last a long time and give good case life also. Tom.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 PM

I seat and crimp is sperate steps also. I am a beleiver is the Lee series of factory crimp dies. I use these on many, many different rounds, 45-70, 30-30, 32-20, 44-40, 45LC, 38spec/357 and even my 223 for the auto loader.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1
I seat and crimp is sperate steps also. I am a beleiver is the Lee series of factory crimp dies. I use these on many, many different rounds, 45-70, 30-30, 32-20, 44-40, 45LC, 38spec/357 and even my 223 for the auto loader.
i use the lee crimper on 223, 30/30 and 9mm. they work great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page