Can use pillow fiber in reduced rounds hurt barrel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Can use pillow fiber in reduced rounds hurt barrel

Will burned pillow fiber packed into a reduced load bullet hurt your barrel? Just curious... I use to do this for my son in my 700 BDL 3006 doing reduced 3006 loads using 30/30 type ballistics.. I put small amount of pillow fiber in the case to stop powder moving around and making it uniform.. He did kill a 8 point buck with this reload..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:15 PM

Re: Can use pillow fiber in reduced rounds hurt barrel

I have never heard of it. I have no idea if it could damage the barrel at all.

I really dont think it is needed. I just shook some factory 30-06 cor-lokts and you could feel and hear the powder shifting inside the case. Almost like a salt shaker. Try the reloads without the filler and see how they do accuracy wise. I would try to eliminate the filler and extra step or just get your son a .308.

Also when I worked up reloads for my 300 win mag with H4350 there was a lot of extra empty space in the case but the reloads shot darn well.

You may also want to contact the powder manufacturer and see if they have any reduced recoil load recommendations for your caliber/powder choice.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:18 PM

Also found this that may be helpful. Personally I would get H4895 and work off of the recommendation in the PDF. The example listed is for a 30-06.

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20...le%20Loads.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:16 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck
Will burned pillow fiber packed into a reduced load bullet hurt your barrel?
No, it won't hurt anything.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use Dacron to fill the void in the case on reduced loads. I'm pretty sure most pillow fill is Dacron or something like it. The reason I use "Dacron" is because I had a couple cases of Dacron tipped medical Scopettes (big Qtips). I just simply pull the fiber off the applicator.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Careful..,. I had a 243 that I was using reduced loads in and started getting misfires. Turns out the bolt was set back because of excessive pressure. Theory is (from Remington), the kapok was acting like the bullet and the bullet was acting as a barrel obstruction.
I still load reduced loads but now I delete the case filler and use only very bulky powder, like "Trailboss".
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:17 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Theory is (from Remington), the kapok was acting like the bullet and the bullet was acting as a barrel obstruction.
I'd like to see proof of Remington stating that..the filler should immediately burn along with the powder..

What you stated makes no sense....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 AM

Yes,"Be Careful" is in order here...normal powder can only go so far reduced before hangfires occur, make sure you read the "books" before going down too far. Old timers used to use oatmeal...seemed to work then but that was many many moons ago when ?I saw this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:44 AM

Winchesterbob,R2D2 is talking "Kapok". I think that is a bit heaver than dacron filler? But i still don't think it would act as alleged statement from Rem.
6-Dasher,Cream of Wheat,as filler was used a lot,but oatmeal is a new one to me ?
I have many, many times, used a formula,for reduced loads,from Richard Lees book. But,this to load cast lead bullets in rifles. As to reduced loads with jacketed bullets,i would only use what a loading manual recomends ! I use dacron as a filler if needed,with cast.

WILLY P
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

You can also have secondary explosions. From my understanding and having seen the effects of it on another forum, your powder is so minimal in the case that it doesn't burn quickly enough when the primer goes off and then the majority of it goes off somewhere in the barrel cause pressure to go both ways.

I think this is using some super small charge though. This guy was trying to create a plinking round for the 300 blackout using power pistol or something. It actually drove the bolt carrier back so hard into the lower it snapped off the threaded part where the buttstock screws in and ruptured the barrel. Filler would have prevented that I think was the consensus.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page