Bullet Puller Advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Bullet Puller Advice

I have been reloading for 30+ years.Never had a bullet puller.Is there one out there that will pull and the tips can be reused?

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:55 PM

Re: Bullet Puller Advice

Inertia hammer type.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have/use a RCBS collet puller but if I were to buy one today I might be talked into the Hornady Cam Lock. With either one and a routine you can insert the round in the press, pull the bullet, dump the powder and put the bullet in it's box then repeat the process in 15 seconds or less per round. No need to beat or separate powder-bullets as with the hammer type. Caliber specific collets for either one will set you back about $10-$12 each.

In a pinch the bar clamp for a flaring tool works with no or little damage to the bullet(s). It will aslo make short work of crimped or welded bullets but they will be or may be less than perfect afterward.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 PM

I own the RCBS collet bullet puller. Works really well and the pulled bullets can easily be reloaded as their is no marring at least in my experience. It's much faster and alot less effort than the hammer type. I have used both. You must buy collets for each caliber but well worth it. IMO the hammer inertia pullers are way more trouble than they are worth.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Sage

I use a Frankford Arsenal hammer type, but use shell holders from my dies rather than the holders that come with the unit... MUCH EASIER!!

I've got 4 to pull this evening that didn't go off while shooting this afternoon.

I'll use the bullet again. Powder gets dumped.

wmu 3A
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

The hammer type works well. Less than $20 and the bullet is reusable. A couple of hard whacks to move the bullet most of the way out and then some light taps to finish the job. Bullet pulled with no damage to the projectile.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:56 AM

I have both types. The plastic inertia puller (looks like a hammer) drops the bullet and powder, but often requires many violent smacks to loosen the bullet. Then you need to separate and re-weigh the powder. Very time consuming. With a collet, you can remove the bullet, re-weigh the charge and re-load again. I am very fussy about OAL. If my seater die lowers the bullet too much, I simply tighten the collet around it and very lightly pull upward about 1/4". Without fully removing the bullet, it is then easy to adjust the seater die down to get a perfect OAL and the powder charge is not disturbed.

benchrest
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:25 PM

I,like you,have never had a bullet puller,until i had seen one on sale on the net. Then i thought why not? I got the hammer type,it does what i want on the rare times i wish to use it. It cost about $14 and shipping. The collets are $22+ and $12+,so that $34 and shipping. I'll hammer and bullets out that i need to pull. If you put a piece of foarm rubber on the inside bottom of the hammer the bullets don't get hurt!IMHO,you gota pull a lot of bullets to get $34 out of it.

WILLY P
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 PM
The Man

Have used both. Threw the inertia pullers away and use the RCBS collet system exclusively for the aforementioned reasons..
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 PM
dce
Sage

I have a hornady and it works flawlessly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page