I know they weren't mine!!!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

I know they weren't mine!!!!!

I gave a fellow a box of 30-30 Winchesters,last season.He is telling folks my hand loads are junk!He miss a buck with 2 rounds that wouldn't go off.
Well,#1,I don't load for other people short of my sons and they help do it!
#2,I gave him the box of shells,for nothing other than being nice?
#3,He needed them because he couldn't hit an 8 inch paper plate at 50 yards and shot all of his away!
He came by and he gave me the box of shells back. In it were the 2 that didn't go off. After him telling how i don't know what i am doing and how do myself and my boys make such good take down shots,with my hand loads,i looked at his free box of ammo.
2 of them had the primer pierced and didn't go off.He had went and got a box of Remingtons from a store and got a doe.
The box i gave him was from back when things were hard to find and were brand new!!!! I still had the reciept! These were new Winchesters. I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder. When i tried to punch out the primers the punch would not go thru the little hole.
Some how,when making the brass,the hole was pinned shut.There was no hole there??????Soooo,i learned a lesson. I already won't load for others,but,secondly,i will never give or take pity on a guy out of ammo.
I've lately had problems with newer Winchester {brass colored,large rifle primers] not going off. Ant body else run into this?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 12:55 PM
The Man

Re: I know they weren't mine!!!!!

No problems with Winchester but several years ago bought 100 new Remington 7 BR cases, none of which had flash holes. Remington sent me a check for $100..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 12:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

Never had this problem myself but have heard of it before (primer pocket w/out flash hole)
Was wondering what happen after the primer was struck....There had to be an explosion between the bolt face and primer pocket...wouldn't something have to give.....case driven into throat or ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

I was not there when the fellow says it occurred. I will say that the guy tries to be the Rifleman and shoot as fast as the gun will load and fire! He thinks its cool to do so?
The misfired cases ,that he returned to me,were cratered,discolored and penetrated from the firing pin. I had to dig the spent primers out of the primer hole to get them out. They removed easily. One fell out after a bump on the bench.They weren't flush with the rear of the case.
He had not said that he noticed any blow by from the bolt? The rifle was a Winchester model 30-30. This is all i know and i junked the case and he is on my ungrateful list,to never get anything from me!!!!!!!!!!

WILLY P
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I would bet the primer pockets expanded from the primer detonation having nowhere to go, but that's just a guess.

Seems like this is a case of no good deed going unpunished. I guess I can understand the guy's frustration, but it is misplaced. If those were your handloads that came to him with cases that were missing a flash hole, I'd be more inclined to see his point of view.

Given that he was essentially out of luck for finding ammo (from what you describe) and you simply gave him (for free) a box of factory new ammunition, I can't see how he can fault you for a manufacturing defect not of your doing. If he'd been doing his own due diligence, he'd have had the ammo he needed and wouldn't have needed a favor from you to get ammo.

All that said, I DID have Winchester primers fail to fire...3 so far out of a brick of 1000. I used about half so far. Two were at the range, one was in a hunting situation. Winchester made the return process such a run-around that I'm just using them up and that'll be that for me using Winchester components.

I buy their brass when I have no alternative. The only brass I am less interested in than Winchester is Remington. Winchester actually has ok brass, but it's got the snot beat out of it from the get go (new cases come looking like they were kicked around before getting packed), and they generally require standard case prep to make usable, even when new (sizing/trimming/chamfering/deburring).

I won't buy their primers again, but I am using up what I have of the ones I already own. I have CCI's and Federals on hand once I burn through the Winchesters.

I would agree with your position on your friend....if he's going to be this belligerent about a situation he could have easily resolved by getting his ammo in a more proactive fashion, and also one you didn't cause (and had no way to know existed), then he can should look elsewhere for last minute help. I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to let him use anything of yours again.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 03:35 AM
The Man

I had Winchester 3006 factory ammo fail to fire. Some fired but some did not.. Glad I took them to the range to shoot my deer gun in.. I had other ammo with me that fired but the Win ammo just went CLICK. So my gun was sighted in with either Re or Federal but for some reason it was this particular 3006 factory ammo that wouldn't fire.. A friend once told me that some 22 Hornet Win didn't fire for him..
That was the only time Win ammo didn't work for me. I still buy Win ammo.. Must have been something done wrong at the factory when they reloaded it.. I have it marked as defective ammo now..I will dispose of it someday.. Maybe if I get the urge just pull the bullet and get rid of everything else..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I know they changed the way they,Winchester,makes their primers. They are brass now instead of being chrome ! This may be their problem .

WILLY P
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 09:57 AM

I would be upset and scratch him from my list of friends.I find brass colored primers on factory ammo and silver colored for reloading.I don't buy Winchester ammo though.At least you tried to help him,would he have done the same?

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:42 PM
The Man

Agreed,it ain,t like 30-30 ammo is hard to find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page