Bullet maker ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Bullet maker ?

A guy brought me a loaded .308 round and wants me to load him a few boxes exactly the same, the bullet has a second ring above the cannelure, the ring is a thin line about an 1/8 in above a real cannelure toward the tip, question is WHO makes this bullet?? Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:01 PM
The Man

Re: Bullet maker ?

Can you post a photo?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you can't identify the bullet its going to be harder to identify the powder.

What kind of bullet is it, hollow point, lead tip, polymer (what color)?
Is the cannelure an actual ridged cannelure or is it smooth like the low end of a band on a banded bullet?
You have to pull it to "attempt" to identify the powder and weigh the charge, so pull it to see whether it is flat or boat tail, any other bands inside the neck?

A thin line makes me think of the top edge of the sealtite band on a cutting edge bullet.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:46 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-DASHER
A guy brought me a loaded .308 round and wants me to load him a few boxes exactly the same, the bullet has a second ring above the cannelure, the ring is a thin line about an 1/8 in above a real cannelure toward the tip, question is WHO makes this bullet?? Thanks for the help in advance.
It's a 180 grain Hornady Interlock SP. I load them all the time and that is exactly what they look like.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 03:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Based on such little information and not seeing a photo, it is amazing to rule out all others and ID it as that specific bullet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:01 AM

Its also amazing that the fellow has no idea what the products are in the loads?
I still don't trust loading for others! I don't trust too many people.

WILLY P
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 05:08 PM
The Man

Just for something fun to do, I'd like to follow the rest of this ID process as well.

Reading the headstamp is a no-brainer for the brass.

Though I despise removing live primers and don't recommend it, doing so and posting a couple pics would likely lead us to what type it is.

As TG said, the powder will be the most difficult part of it. But still, knowing the weight of the charge and posting pics of the powder, I'd bet we could come with fairly educated guess.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 01:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

6 dasher is a very experienced reloader, I'm sure once he figures out the bullet he will load safe rounds, I wouldn't trust just anyone but if he handed me reloads he did I wouldn't hesitate
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help, kudu was correct it was the Hornady 180 grain spire point... I knew I remembered that weird ring, never could figure out why it's even there..serves no purpose that I could imagine. The powder is W-748...and the casing is Lake City military match from 65..no cartridge name even appears on the headstamp...it was resized with a small base die to function smoothly in a model 88 winchester .308.. Loaded him one and he shot it in the same hole at 100 yards...he's now thrilled he can use the gun again..he was down to 5 shells and was so hard headed to try something else, he told me all the factory shells got jammed in the action and wouldn't try any...guess that's why someone used the small base dies. Guy is nearly 80 yrs old, wonder how many deer he bagged with that old 88..it was really beat up and looked like it was hard hunted with. Glad he can use it again !
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:09 PM
The Man

Really nice to be able to help that fellow out. I'm sure he will appreciate it. What a classic PA hunting rifle he has in that Model 88 .308. I bet it could tell some stories.
I never understood why that second ring is on those Hornady 180's either. The 180 SP is the only one it's on. As many as I've loaded over the years though, I knew exactly what you were describing right away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page