bullet wieght for savage model 10 .308 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

bullet wieght for savage model 10 .308

looking for a good bullet weight for a savage model 10 .308 1 in 10 twist 20 inch barrel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: bullet wieght for savage model 10 .308

almost all 308's shoot very well with 150 and 165 grain pills.

Thanks for the twist and length, those are pretty common, what is your barrel profile?

what is your intended purpose? with reloading you can find the sweet spot for either weight with your barrel by varying the charge a bit.

If you want to get REALLY technical, you can use the formula posted here: http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/twistrate.htm

I took the time to load it for your rifle, throwing out the length of barrel because for the most part it does not influence the twist to weight so much as it does to affect the velocity of the round which you can control with different powders.

In all cases with your barrel, you SHOULD be able to get a 150 grain pill running at 2700 fps. With your twist, the ideal bullet would be 1.725" long. good luck finding the bullet lengths posted for any of the available stuff out there without popping a box and putting the caliper on it.

That said, assuming you are hunting, and hunting deer so you need an expandable bullet, in PA so your max range would usually be less than 300 yards, a decent starting bullet would be the inexpensive Hornady 150gr SP's (model 3031) which is (you guessed it...) what I run in MY .308

I've tried bigger pills and my rifle (also 1 in 10) just wont' stabilize a 180 grain but i can make the 150's touch. I have yet to play with the 165's.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

find out what bullet wieght ur rifle prefers, be it 150's 165's 168's 180's. and thats the one to shoot.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

WOW im impressed! you really know your stuff. I am interested in target long range 500 yd. I have the laupa brass mag primers etc. I want precision and from reading on line I think I may try 175 gr SMK. Any comments welcome
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

your rifle will tell you which bullet it likes. you really need to try a few. and not all 165's are the same. 175's are great ifyou can push them fast enough. that will be a HOT load in a 20 incher. check out http://www.snipershide.com

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

308 link i've posted this before. it's a good 308 link.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks much guys Im going to start off with the 175 GR SMK
Probally wont get to shoot it till spring but will sure be ready thanks again for all the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page