..want to start reloading...where do I begin... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

..want to start reloading...where do I begin...

I have never reloaded, but I would like to start. Where do I begin ?..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Re: ..want to start reloading...where do I begin...

A good reloading manual will explain the essentials of loading your own ammo.

The basic tools you'll need-
Press, Dies, Priming Tool, Scale, Powder dispenser, Case Trimmer, Calipers, Brass, Powder, Primers and Bullets.

WMU 3A
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would recommend finding a mentor...my best friend's father was a reloader with experience dating back to 1950's.He got away from shooting and hunting due to job pressures, other hobbles, etc. When my friend and I started to think about reloading, Jim decided to make a comeback and was very valuable in helping us select equipment-in fact we split the cost of our set-up thre ways. Jim also taught us info and procedures in hours that we would have to spend years learning on our own.

If you can find a mentor, I would recomend buying 2-3 relaoding manuals and read them inside and out. As far as equipment, if you're not sure how serious you are, try soem some Lee equipment- $100 or so will get you started. If you loike the hobby, you will certainly upgrade-but the original tools will still be used.

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peck Hill Will
I would recommend finding a mentor...my best friend's father was a reloader with experience dating back to 1950's.He got away from shooting and hunting due to job pressures, other hobbles, etc. When my friend and I started to think about reloading, Jim decided to make a comeback and was very valuable in helping us select equipment-in fact we split the cost of our set-up thre ways. Jim also taught us info and procedures in hours that we would have to spend years learning on our own.

If you can find a mentor, I would recomend buying 2-3 relaoding manuals and read them inside and out. As far as equipment, if you're not sure how serious you are, try soem some Lee equipment- $100 or so will get you started. If you loike the hobby, you will certainly upgrade-but the original tools will still be used.

Will
I'll have to second everything he wrote. A mentor would be key if you can find one. If I wouldn't have had one I'm not sure I would be doing it.

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 AM
The Man

Notice my shooting club was giving training to new reloaders. That would be nice if your shooting club was doing that in your area?

I would buy a kit...Like the RCBS Rockchucker Kit... Comes with press, lube, lube pad, powder measure, funnel, deburring tool, and the Speer book and a set of dies of your choice... The info on the dies itself tells you how to set up the dies...Speer book will take you step by step too...When you buy it in a complete kit it's a bit cheaper and you have everything you need to start reloading..

I did not find it overly hard to comprehend the data and start reloading....That was back in 1979. You will learn as you go of course...Recommend that you start with rifle reloads instead of pistol..That where you can do a double load real easy loading pistol ammo.
I think if you looked over someone shoulder just for a evening of reloading you would catch on real fast...maybe someone in NY that visit here would contact you and give you some guidance>
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 AM

I started with a lee anniversary kit, they are cheap and a good starter kit.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the into....looking at the cost of reloading, aside from the intial setup fees...on average...what does it cost to reload 20 centerfire cartridges..30-05..or .223...and how bout shotgun sheels >.box of 25 20ga ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

These are CLOSE depending on brands of bullets, powder, and if you have the brass already.

.25 for bullet
.25 for powder
.05 for primer

That's for my 300 win mag. Your powder is going to be more like $.20 so you're looking at about $.50 per shell to reload. Brass is about $.50 so it is about $1 per shell for the first reload and $.50 for the next 5-10 reloads.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 PM

.223's are running me around 33cents/piece.

300wsm's (with premium bullets) are running about 75cents/piece

WMU 3A
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 02:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

beside the manuals and mentors try watching the rcbs how to videos on their website. also some companies have reloading classes at events. example of this is hornady basic and advanced reloading classes at camp perry during the nationals. nra has a program of reloading classes taught by certified instructors. talk to a local shop that sells reloading equipment/supplies. they can sometimes get a manufacturer to send a staffer to put on a class. (pushing their "stuff" of course)good deals are usually available at this type of event. mom and pop gun stores are a great source of info. many do it them selves. food for thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page