The cost of shooting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

The cost of shooting

I've been accumulating empty powder containers in my garage "reloading area" since I built it sometime around 2005. Tonight I was cleaning them up (as the box had overflowed and containers were scattered about). I counted them up and had 23 empties on the floor and 17lbs on the shelf.

It just got me thinking about all the $ I've spent on shooting the past 6yrs or so (let alone prior to that). At $25 a pound I had used and was going to use a combined $1000 just in powder. Let alone bullets, primers, brass, dies and of course the firearms.

I figure I shoot more than most but less than some (I don't compete or shoot in leagues) and usually I don't think much about the cost, but tonight was just a little reminder.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: The cost of shooting

well you could spend it on worse things.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 PM

Personally I'm proud of you.So burn some more powder.If you have the cash to eat,cloth and house yourself and burn powder good for you.I'm in die buying mode right now.I just ordered dies for a gun I don't own.I want to load for my best friend and the wife didn't complain.Lol.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 AM
The Man

There was a time frame that I could not venture into the outdoors because of recuperating from hernia surgery... Wow it was so nice to at least escape to my reloading area and reload buckshot, varmint rounds for fox, etc etc etc...kind of made that time frame when I could not venture outside a lot easier.. So yes...Sometimes it's good to reload of course to do that you have to have components.. components do cost money.. However it was so nice to be able to do that instead of just being on the net...
My fox rifle is no zero'd perfect with the powders I tried and now I have # 4 buckshot, BB, T, and B buckshot reloads for fox and coyotes.. Even some in 20 gauge to not just 12 gauge. Doesn't get any better then this...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 AM

Would have cost you a lot more if you weren't reloading!!! Thats how I always look at it.

Been Playing with my 300 RUM with reloads, and my cousin tells me that he just bought a box of factory ammo at $70 a box. I can reload mine for less then a buck a round (not counting brass cost).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 AM

One things for sure, if you shot $1000.00 in powder at $25 a pound, seems to me that figures out to be around 40 pounds,,,BOY, you did some serious shooting to say the least..you should need rotator cuff surgery! LOL.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-DASHER
One things for sure, if you shot $1000.00 in powder at $25 a pound, seems to me that figures out to be around 40 pounds,,,BOY, you did some serious shooting to say the least..you should need rotator cuff surgery! LOL.
Yep; 23(empty)lbs on the floor, 17lbs on the shelf in various states of "fullness".

WMU 3A
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Two mistakes. If you are paying $25 a pound for powder then you are paying way too much. And you should be buying your powder in bigger containers. I buy mine in 5# and 8# small kegs. A whole bunch cheaper. And if you store your powder properly it will last with no problem. Tom.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Two mistakes. If you are paying $25 a pound for powder then you are paying way too much. And you should be buying your powder in bigger containers. I buy mine in 5# and 8# small kegs. A whole bunch cheaper. And if you store your powder properly it will last with no problem. Tom.
The $25/lb is the amount I've paid most recently at a small shop I deal with. He treats me very well so I don't mind the added powder cost. I've considered 5lb and 8lb containers but suprisingly I don't shoot that much of any one powder. I do a lot of woodchuck hunting and I like to test different bullets terminal performance on chucks. I expend quite a bit of time on load development with a bullet and then put it to use in the field. If I like it I'll use it for a while then move on to the next bullet. The problem being not all bullets like the same powder so I keep a bunch of different powders on hand for testing.

WMU 3A
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
The Man

At this point it's more about getting something that shoots good or practicing. It's a hobbie. Everybody should have one or two.

See that the OP has spent around $1000 on powder alone in that time, he probably spent 3 or 4 times that amount on bullets, primers, brass, and other things. Not even going to count the cost of the guns on there.

Looking at it that way it's costing him somewhere around $1000 a year. I can think of a lot of other hobbies that cost a lot more than that.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page