IMR 4895 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

IMR 4895

IMR 4895 is the powder I use.IMR lists psi others use cup.What is the difference?I;m well aware that IMR4895 and h4895 are not the same powder.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Re: IMR 4895

As far as I am aware their is no accurate way to convert or compare CUP (copper units of pressure) to PSI (pounds per square inch. The difference is mearly the method used to measure pressure. Both are accurate and comparable when used amongst themselves.

The copper crusher method is used to get CUP and is a measurement of a copper cylinder that is "crushed" when a fired round exerts pressure on it.

PSI is derived through an electronic guage on the side of a case which converts pressure on a piston to a PSI number.

WMU 3A
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

they are just different scales, computed differently, as Wdchuck says.

Since we reloaders seldom measure pressure on our rifles. Just remember that the Pressure (PSI) or CUP that you see in the books is and a relative indication to us as how hot the load is.

You are right H4895 and IMR 4895 are different powders (similiar but different). So when you see a load listed with a high CUP (or psi) for one powder, don't exceed the specif load with that powder.

CUP was an early way to estimate pressures or forces, modern electronics and strain gages should have all powder manufactures converting to PSI measure pressures soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I load on the low end if the need arises I may bump up.I thank you 2 guys for your help.Very appeciated.Right now I'm working with a 22-250.Next will be a 30-06,270 and 30-30.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

i use it in all the above calibers,good choice.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm sorry, but you are using the wrong powder.

You need to think of powder - like gasoline and kerosene and Diesel fuel.

Each fuel has it's purpose, and each fuel has it's own octane / cetane number..

I'm not an expert, but I have read the opinions of the experts many times, both in reloading manuals and magazines and the occasional reloading bench topic.

One of the goals of reloading your own shells is to properly match the powder, primers and bullets to achieve as much velocity and accuracy as possible.

Just think of a empty shell - as a pop bottle.

When you put soda in a bottle until the bottle is full, regardless of which direction you tip the bottle - there is no gaps in the volume of the liquid in the bottle.

With powder - filling the shell so as to almost compress the powder inside of the shell insures that the shell is full and that the powder does not settle to one end or the other when you aim the rifle and it ensures a uniform burn inside of the shell from one shell to the next.

The powder of choice - when you use IMR powder for a 30-06 is 4350, with a second choice of 4320 - which does not give as much power - velocity as does the 4350.

You never under load a shell - low pressure causes more damage to a gun then does a high pressure. Usually - you cannot get enough powder into a shell - when you use the proper powder to overload the chamber pressure.

Someone here needs to consult a reloading manual and not just try recipes for a certain powder that they found a deal on or was given for free.

.270 Winchester also likes IMR 4350 - which the 30-06 is the parent case for the 270.

The 30-30 likes IMR 3031 as does the 22-250

You would not put diesel fuel in your wifes Honda Accord and expect it to run the same way it did when the engine was designed to run on low test 87 octane gasoline.

Nor would you put low test gasoline in a Nascar racecar and expect it to run very long or go very far before the engine blew up.

The same holds true with gun powder.

There is no one universal powder that works equally well in all guns.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

what manual would consult? i only have 10.one of the benefits of reloading is to find an accurate load.4895 was designed around the 06.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elk Hunter
I'm sorry, but you are using the wrong powder.

You need to think of powder - like gasoline and kerosene and Diesel fuel.

Each fuel has it's purpose, and each fuel has it's own octane / cetane number..
Bad analogy. Comparing kerosene & diesel to gasoline is like comparing smokeless powder to black powder.

Quote:
I'm not an expert, but I have read the opinions of the experts many times, both in reloading manuals and magazines and the occasional reloading bench topic.
Quote:
One of the goals of reloading your own shells is to properly match the powder, primers and bullets to achieve as much velocity and accuracy as possible.

Just think of a empty shell - as a pop bottle.

When you put soda in a bottle until the bottle is full, regardless of which direction you tip the bottle - there is no gaps in the volume of the liquid in the bottle.

With powder - filling the shell so as to almost compress the powder inside of the shell insures that the shell is full and that the powder does not settle to one end or the other when you aim the rifle and it ensures a uniform burn inside of the shell from one shell to the next.
Agreed. I prefer slow for caliber powders myself. That DOES NOT mean it is necessary to do so.

Quote:
You never under load a shell - low pressure causes more damage to a gun then does a high pressure. Usually - you cannot get enough powder into a shell - when you use the proper powder to overload the chamber pressure.
Not quite. An overall lack of pressure is not as harmful to a firearm as overpressured. However, improperly reduced loads will damage a firearm. There can be a point between a squib and a properly charged round when their is insufficient initial pressure to ensure reliable forward motion of the projectile. If the initial pressure is such that the projectile becomes lodged in the barrel, not far from the chamber, and there is a reasonable amount of powder left in the case then the subsequent rapid rise in pressure can be enough to cause damage to the firearm. Essentially a rapid overpressure caused by a blockage. Coincidentially the 4895's are excellent reduced charge powders.

Quote:
Someone here needs to consult a reloading manual and not just try recipes for a certain powder that they found a deal on or was given for free.
Someone needs a little better understanding of internal ballistics and why we have manuals with more than the supposed "optimum" powder.

Quote:
There is no one universal powder that works equally well in all guns.
The 4895's are about as close as one can get to being universal.

WMU 3A
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

My stating starting on the low end is just that.I loaded at the recommended starting powder charge.As far as it being the wrong powder the man that I got the gun from uses IMR 4895.The loads he used in the gun shot 9/16 at 200 yards.I have the target to prove it.The loads used were for his other 22-250 and he said it can be made better.I never said I was going to use the same powder in each gun but may try and see the results before jumping to conclusions.I also have a Hornady manual.The Hodgdon website lists the same load I tried.In fact it lists IMR 4895 for all of those calibers.It may be the wrong powder for me but unless I try I will never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page