Deprimered, resized, deburred, primed... & ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Deprimered, resized, deburred, primed... & ?

FINALLY! I'm making some progress with reloading. I got my dies cleaned and re-adjusted last nite and managed to deprimer, resize, deburr the mouth (inside and out), clean the primer pocket, and prime the cases.

The only problem I had was while resizing 75% of the cases sized fine but those other 25% came really close to getting stuck in my die. It wasn't the whole case that almost got stuck, just the neck. When I got to the point where the neck resizing plunger was re-entering the neck it really got hung up a few times. I even brushed all the necks out before I sized them and I made sure that the plunger was clean when I cleaned the rest of the die.

I called a friend who reloads quite a bit and he said he'd had the same trouble with the Winchester brass and Hornady dies in a couple calibers. FYI, this brass was not "new" brass, I've shot it before and this friend had resized it then, so it wasn't the beat and bent up stuff that I've seen straight out of the bags, it was all uniformly round.

Has anyone had this happen? I just don't understand why it was only some of the brass and not all of it.

Oh, one other thing I did but thankfully it was only with 1 other case and it was with one of the ones that were dented from my "over lubrication" last week. When I first tried setting a new primer, I must not have been paying attention 100% of the time and put the primer in upside down! Needless to say that case was tossed in the trash! haha

Hoping to get to adding the powder and bullets either tonight or over the weekend!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Re: Deprimered, resized, deburred, primed... & ?

Question,do you lube inside the neck of your brass? If not,that's your problem...

Hunt Safe
Jack
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Get yourself a little bottle of moly dust, Sinclair used to sell it..and dip the neck only and shake off in the bottle..never need to clean afterward either.. the moly dust won't hurt the powder and you don't need to wipe anything else off..bought a bottle 40 years ago and am still using it after at least 50 000 relaods or more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Question,do you lube inside the neck of your brass? If not,that's your problem...
I was thinking the same thing. Dont just clean the inside of the necks, lube them a little too.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Lubrication inside the neck and entire case exterior is important. You can use anything from motor oil to graphite, just don't overdo it or you will get dents. Those are not important, they come out on next firing. With an upside down primer, saturate it with oil and resize again. Carefully push the primer out and reuse the case.

benchrest
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
The Man

I've never lubed any more than the lower third of the case exterior when FL sizing....absolutely no need to lube the shoulder or neck exterior even when forming cases....

Always brush the neck interior to loosen the carbon residue before you resize then use moly or graphite to lube the neck interior. I have the NECO kit and just dip the case necks into the moly-impregnated steel shot. Necks slide over the expander button like butter when coated in this manner...

Wipe off the case lube with a cleaning patch lightly soaked with solvent, remove the solvent with a dry cloth and you're all set.....

NEVER use any kind of liquid or wet lube on the inside of your necks...you'll have powder granules sticking to it and removing it with a Q-tip doesn't add a fun kind of dimension to handloading....plus the lube will gunk up your decapping stem....in a hurry...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I'll have to look into some graphite on the next go 'round. I asked a similar question before and didn't get a cut and dry answer, sounded like some guys lubed and some didn't. As this was my first time, I figured I was doing something wrong and didn't need to. Sounds like I should. I'll look into some graphite or the stuff that WinchesterBob mentioned.

Thanks for the help!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 PM

You didn't have to throw that one case out! Just deprime it and put a new priner back in!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I'll have to look into some graphite on the next go 'round. I asked a similar question before and didn't get a cut and dry answer, sounded like some guys lubed and some didn't.
Let me clear up the graphite thing as far as I'm concerned. First and foremost since most all powders already have graphite on and in them there is zero chance of it affecting anything, powder or barrel.

Second, although I use the shot-graphite at times its only a stop gap measure until I correct the problem. Hard sizing, split necks and seating issues are most times a result of work hardened brass from firing-loading cycles. The ONLY cure is annealing or re-annealing. With annealed brass you'll see little if any difference between it and lubed necks when resizing barring donuts which is another issue all together. If you need to stand on the press handle to get the cartridge in the die and almost rip the press off the bench getting it out....its time!

If a batch of my brass start sizing a bit harder( FL or Neck) it gets annealed, most times every third firing-loading cycle regardless. All my new virgin brass except Lapua is annealed prior to the initial prep and first loading. Brass, even within the same lot will vary at times, annealing prior makes it the same or as close as possible.

As an added bonus, annealing allows for more consistent neck tension and the potential for increased accuracy. As one of my mentors once said, "If it ain't right going in, it ain't gonna be right coming out".

Bill
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What exactly is "annealing"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page