The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Soggy Morels.

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Fleroo 
#1 ·
So last year was my first year looking for and finding Morels. Once at home I followed the usual protocal and soaked them in salt water for a while to remove the mites which worked great. Only problem was that the Morels went from a pleasant firm texture to a soggy, mushy, quite bit more unappealing texture. Is there any way to firm them back up to a just picked texture???? To be honest, I was not a huge fan of them after they were soaked and part of me wants to say forget the bugs and just batter dip and eat the darn things. Is anyone else bothered by this? Am I missing a step??

#2 ·
Maybe they were on the downside of the degredation that occurs as they start to dry? When I used to be able to find them, that's the only time I ever had 'em go soggy on me. I try to refridgerate them immediately and let them soak in there after the initial washing in the sink. I never bothered with the salt in the water.

#3 ·
Salt may be what is making them soggy. I know I have green onions and one time I put them in the fridge in salt water and it made them rubbery. Now I just clean them and put them in a glass or jar of water in the fridge until we eat them.

#5 ·
alpine4d said:
Used to have same problem. Now i quit soaking them. I put them in salt water for 5- 10 min and than rinse them off. Ziploc them and fresh as can be. I think they kinda act like a sponge when you soak them.
So do you still soak them, or not soak them?

#7 ·
I use no salt. Just put the stopper in the sink and fill with 3-4 inches of cold water. I put in schrooms and stir with my hand after 20 minutes. Stirr one more time then run each one under the spicket turning like an ear of corn. Then onto laid out paper towells or a bath towell for 1 hour to let water drain. Then straight into zip lock bag and froze. Then vaccuum packed when froze to keep the shape and texture. This works well for me.

#9 ·
Pretty much a foolproof method I use is this.

Cut vertically in half in sink basin. Once you are done cutting all, rinse using the sprayer (if you have one) on the sink. This does an excellent job of cleaning the "pits" of bugs. After spraying, put directly into a collander. When done, put collander outside to drain thoroughly overnight. Next day they are ready for your choice of storing method... dry/freeze etc...

#12 ·
Just a bad year period. I've found my share, but nothing like in recent years. Pretty much the rain came too late, as Washington County is all but done. You'll find a few fresh here and there, but most will be past prime. My guess is the temps and moisture didn't exactly mesh too well this year.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.