When to cull? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

When to cull?

Question for you guys/gals that run beagles. I have a 1 year old female hound that is driving me nuts. She is started on rabbits, will open/trail and circled a few rabbits on her own, running solo. However, between my buddy and I we usually run 10 hounds in a pack, when we run them all this little female will barely hunt at all. She'll go out with the others for short bursts, but then comes back and stands at my feet or mills around on her own. I have one of her litter mates, a male, who is started, but has a lot to learn, but he will stay out with the pack all day and stick with them when running a rabbit. I think this little female could turn out, when hunting on her own she has a lot of hunt, but when packed up she just sits back. She has been around this pack since she was a puppy, so she knows all the other dogs. Any suggestions? i'm thinking just try to keep soloing here or brace for awhile, maybe she's not confident enough to run with the other dogs or get intimidated? All the other dogs i have ever had would always atleast stick with the pack whether or not they were contributing much or not, they atleast wanted to be with the other dogs, this one acts like she's not interested 90% of the time, on occasion she will go out and run with them on a track for a short time, but then give up and come back. Any suggestions, I like this little hound, she is smaller than the rest, probably only 11", but I like running a pack and don't have the time to keep her to just run her solo. How long do you guys give a hound before you cull them? My friend says to wait another year or so and see what she does, which I probably will do, but thought maybe some of you would have suggestions. Thanks a lot.

When the tailgate drops, the -- stops...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: When to cull?

Is this a serious question? If the pup hunts well solo there are probably hundreds of guys out there who only hunt with one beagle that would buy her or take her from you and be happy as heck to hunt with her.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM

The moment they start driving me nuts they are gone. That doesn't mean they won't do well for someone else...Like was said, lot's of guys hunt one dog.

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

I LOVE hunting dogs solo!! Plenty of guys like me.

The fun is over once you pull the trigger
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:24 PM

Donate to a youth who is interested in the sport, or to an adult who is looking to rekindle that fire of hunting with hounds.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Part of the Community

Either they generally do what I want them to do NATURALLY or they are moved on to either a hunter, trial guy, or pet owner. Depends on the style and what the dog is showing. Plus, If you don't have the time. Then its time to move her on. Post an ad be truthful. Someone will buy her and probably wonder why in the world you sold her..LOL. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In my opinion the first mistake is putting a 1 year old dog down with a pack of 10. I always try to solo or brace young dogs until they show they can circle a rabbit consistently and handle the pressure the other dog will put on them.

If it were me and the dog had a lot of positive attributes I would hold onto her and solo or brace her. There are some dogs that just never can handle the pressure of a big pack. Only time will tell if that's the case with your pup.

Free Madcatter!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I know what you mean mundellm, the second i get rid of her, the switch will turn on in her and i'd wish i had her back. Not sure why people are asking if this is a real question. I like hunting with a pack of beagles, solo dogs are great, nothing wrong with that at all, for a long time I only had one or two and it's a blast, I just like running lots of dogs. I'm guessing I shouldn't have used the word "cull", if she doesn't work out i'm not planning on shooting her or anything, I already have a couple people that would buy her off me or i'd give her away to a friend. I just thought maybe some of you would have past experiences with younger dogs who have acted this way and have ideas whether they would at some point join the pack or if they tend to always stay loners.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

John-Pa, yeah I was kinda thinking that. I'm thinking to just try and run her solo or brace with another, I think she must get intimidated trying to keep up with the others and that's why she quits, if I drop her solo it's game on. I think i'll try the spring and summer with a lot of solo time. Thanks

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 PM

tough decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page