Black mouth cur - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
K98

Black mouth cur

If anyone can point me toward a breeder here in PA, I'd appreciate it. I'm in the western part of the state.

Be the person your dog thinks you are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Banned

Re: Black mouth cur

Check on coondawgs.com they usually have a few for sale around the area....only person I know that breeds them in Pa is near days town lake. 814-329-8727
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

There was a guy near Frederick, Maryland - a couple hour drive depending on where you are. I can look for his number if you want it.

Just my two cents of advice - look for the best bred pup you can find - no matter if it's across the street or half way across the country.

Maplewood Plotts & Curs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

http://www.blackmouthcur.com/BreedersList.htm

Maplewood Plotts & Curs
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
K98

Thanks guys.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 PM

Make sure you check out the line first. A lot of them are bred for catch dogs on pigs. That is probably their mainstay but there are some good squirrel and coon dogs out there just be careful. Might want to check out some of the squirrel dog sights. When talking bout getting good squirrel and coon dogs you are lucky if you find a litter in PA.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Might find some info on here also a couple in Michigan who has some very good Ladner BMC's. More than likely you are looking for a Ladner.

http://www.sqdog.com/forums/index.ph...0&#entry856871

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

My suggestion, unless you already have, go spend some time with a few. Everyone I have been around was ill. There are good ones for sure but I would be very choosy.

HUNTING PA CROW MASTER 2010, 2011 and 2012

If you want the fur hunt a cur.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM

Never been with one but I have heard the same and that is the reason they aren't as popular. Saw a great video of a pair of Ladners that were road hunted. They were real good. I am sure there a plenty out there that are gentle as can be but I would head what mtncurhnts said. Make sure you know the nature of the parents and be sure to socialize your pup with other dogs. If you do that I would think you won't have to worry but of course I don't know for sure. Ole Yellar was a BMC. Guess they used to have a lot of hunts but to many fights. Great watchdog, from what I read, protect you and your family to the death, great farm dog, gritty as you can get but they are real tough dogs and won't back down from anything. These are the thing I have read about them. Used to be a guy on here who had one. Really you can't beat an OMCBA mountain cur. If they get in a fight in a hunt they get scratched and I believe if it happens again they get barred so these dogs are more likely not to be aggressive toward other dogs. Only been to two hunts my whole life and on the one hunt there was nearly 40 dogs there and not a fight in the bunch. Dogs tied up all over the place. This is not to say you aren't gonna find an ill one cause it does happen. Hunted with one once that was just plain jealous if my dog went around or got any attention from it's owner and he tried to scrap with my dogs but this is not at all the norm. Most folks won't keep an ill cur around long.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
K98

Thanks for the tips. I've been around them for a good many years, my family has always had a few around for squirrel dogs and coon dogs. The last dog passed a few years back, and all of the old timers that ran them with me when I was a youngster are all either in nursing homes or gone. They never really had problems with the dogs scrapping, but I don't remember what line they came from. They had two old female beagles, and the BMCs got along just fine with them. I'll keep looking around and talk to some folks about them. My brother lives in North Carolina, and they seem to be pretty popular there. I hope he can provide me with some insight as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in