When to get a pup? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

When to get a pup?

Im 19 and looking to get my first beagle pup, me and my buddy would each like to get one from the same litter. When should we be getting them to start them next season? I didnt want to start them hunting too soon but also not too late. I thought maybe may would be a good time so they would be about 6 months old, opinions? And also for a first pup is one sex preferable over the other? My grandpa always had females but he passed away when I was 10 so looking for some advice here!

It's not luck if success is consistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: When to get a pup?

I never had a preference to sex and hunted with good and bad of either sex. As far as when to get one I'd say the sooner the better if you want to run him next season. The longer you wait the younger he'll be.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Sage

I'd be looking to get a 2 month old (8 weeks) even a little older pup now if you want to hunt next season...

Each pup is different and will "start" when they are ready there is no real age other than an average of 4 mos.

I would recommend getting a started or running dog if this is your first beagle and you want to hunt next season... Most pups do start given the right exposure but not all do.

Good luck with your decision

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys, I dont want to get a started dog, just something about having a puppy. I have friends with beagles that could help me out too. And also does being an inside dog affect hunting at all?

It's not luck if success is consistent.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Sage

Shouldn't effect a dogs hunt.

Nineteen is a tuff age to be getting a pup... Ususally alot going on in your life and things start happening fast... Keep in mind that you'll be 31 when the dog is 12 YOA...just something to think about..

wmu 3A
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle
Shouldn't effect a dogs hunt.

Nineteen is a tuff age to be getting a pup... Ususally alot going on in your life and things start happening fast... Keep in mind that you'll be 31 when the dog is 12 YOA...just something to think about..

Smart man here!! I raise plotts and have raised 7 pups in the last several years and out of those I still have one that was worth keeping and two that have yet to be determined. Raising training and even hunting a dog is a ton of work and lots of it not so much fun. If I wasn't so involved in the breed, I would much rather buy a nice old trained dog every few years and just enjoy hunting!! From what I have seen you can get a pretty decent beagle pretty reasonable and really enjoy yourself. I know what I was your age I would have told me to go pound salt I am getting a pup, but don't take it the wrong way, just trying to give you some advice that will make your experierience so much more immediately enjoyable. Plenty of time later in life to raise pups.

The fun is over once you pull the trigger
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Inside beagles run no different than outside beagles.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearklr
Inside beagles run no different than outside beagles.
I actualy think they listen better than dogs that are kenneled all the time...never saw it hurt the hunt. Now is a good time to get a young pup, Spring is my favorite time of year to run and easiest to get a youngin going.

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 PM

All good advice

I love a pup born in the winter Oct. to Jan.
Let them be pups all winter and ready to start in the spring.

I have two now that were born in October that I am looking forward to starting real soon.

Last summer's project pup was born the previous November 1st.
He started by about late April and we were able to hunt him a dozen times this season without overstressing him at all.

No problem with house dogs hunting. I am patting one's head right now. The only issue that I have is if the dog doesn't develop to your standards, it is a lot tougher to let a house dog go that you and yours are attached to than an outside dog.

In General, we have had better luck having females develop more quicly than males. My best Maggie was being gunned at 7 months old and was lead dog before she was a year. But that is the exception.
John L

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 PM

Keep our two inside... seem to listen better than friends dogs who are kept kenneled as Andy stated.
Still hunt just as hard.

Generally, I think there are more rabbits running around in the spring/summer to assist in getting a pup going.

We have a dog born this past June, that we hunted over this year.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page