Lost a great dog on Christmas Eve....am stumped - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Lost a great dog on Christmas Eve....am stumped

On Christmas Eve, I had to part ways with my 1 1/2 year old beagle Paxton. He was a great dog and was just beginning to became very good at tracking rabbits. I am stumped at what happened and was wondering if anyone ever experienced something like this. Paxton was only 1 1/2 and was always healthy never any issues whatsoever. On the saturday before Christmas he suddenly began having violent seizures 2-3 of them consecutively, right after that he began having a white foam continually ooze from his mouth (I mean alot of it) I rushed him to the Pet ER and they said that his temp was 108 and he would probably have brain damage. They cooled him down and gave anti seizure meds. From the minute I left there he would not walk, stand up, eat, drink, or even sleep. The next day I took him to his vet and they ran every blood test and xray that they could and gave him an IV, they were stumped everything checked out normal minus his temp which was still high. To make a long story short, I continued with the meds for another day and a half, to no avail. For lack of a better term he was basically a vegatable. It was horrible and finally I could not let him suffer any longer. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this, I am just so stumped.....he never got into anything that I know of, and was fine one minute and instantly was unable to do anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Re: Lost a great dog on Christmas Eve....am stumped

Very sorry to hear

I have never heard of anything like this.
Very strange

John L

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Sage

I'm very sorry for your loss.

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm no vet. But man, it read as if Paxton somehow came in contact with a poison. But I guess blood tests would have revealed that.

I have a soft spot in my heart for beagles. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a great looking animal.

<span style="font-style: italic">Semper Fi</span>.

BobB
WMU2F
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 AM

I have never heard of anything like that, I am very sorry for your loss. It is never easy but is made worse with so many questions. In my opinion he HAD to get into something...He was a very nice looking hound.

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thank you all, it does seem as if he got into something, but I was pretty much always with him, unless it was out in the woods. I'm not sure how in depth the blood work is but they said his liver and kidneys seemed fine so they ruled out ingesting something. Who knows just wish I knew he was a great dog and was well on his way to getting me lots of rabbits, such a shame he was so young.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very sorry for your loss. Hope the new year brings you better things.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Tragic loss and I am sorry for the pup and for you as well. As someone said it does sound like poision of some sort. But I wonder if it could be distemper. But at 1.5 years of age, distemper would probably be a long shot. Again, sorry for the loss.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 PM

Sorry for your loss. Do you have any holiday plants in your home like Mistletoe or Holly? The berries of these plants will cause some of the symptoms you describe.
Quote:
Mistletoe poisoning is rare but it does occur if the pet eats the berries. Symptoms include but are not limited too: hyper-salivating, vomiting, diarrhea, urinating more then usual, and a fast heart rate and respiratory rate. In severe cases the animal can go into shock and possibly die with out immediate treatment. If the pet consumes a small amount of the mistletoe berries it may suffer with GI upset but otherwise be okay but if the pet consumes a larger amount of the berries then it may suffer with the more severe symptoms listed above.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM

First I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm not a vet but do work with them on occasion doing natural therapies on animals so I get to see a lot of stuff, and I doubt you'll get a definitive answer on this one. However it does sound neurological/brain with his muscles and sensations shutting down etc.There are multiple possibilities whether it was a genetic defect, brain inflammation, brain tumor, aneurysm, virus and so forth. The excess salivation can go along with convulsive disorders like seizures. The brain stem also controls temperature regulation/fever. However the fever could have been his immune system ramping up in response to something. You didn't let him suffer which was the hardest and best thing to do under the circumstances if there was no chance for recovery. Sounds like you gave him a good life short as it was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page