No Deer scent - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

No Deer scent

Does this actually work for keeping dogs from running deer? I was told to put some on the collar for a couple days and they get so sick of it that they wont bother running deer scent after that . . ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 AM

Re: No Deer scent

The best deer breaking thing I have used is the Tri Tronics collar. I have stopped them from running sometimes with just one lesson. I never had much luck with the deer scent.
I did buy a beagle once that was running rabbit and deer which I didn't know when I bought her. After several applications of the Tri Tronics she quit running deer if she had the collar on. But when you took it off she would run deer. Nothing more aggravating than going out to run rabbits and have the dog leave the country on a deer.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Never tried the Deer scent deal - I agree the e-collar is the most effective. The one thing I learned from other hunters is that you never shock a dog for running something bad before they've had the opportunity to run the right game.

Maplewood Plotts & Curs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasB
The one thing I learned from other hunters is that you never shock a dog for running something bad before they've had the opportunity to run the right game.
Good advice there
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another vote for tri-tronics. Only took one time for my pup to figure it out. We were running rabbits all day and jumped a doe. I stood on her trail and called him close and let him work the brush. As soon as he hit her trail he started following it but didn't open up. A quick nip on the collar and he immediately left her trail and never ran a deer since.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 PM
The Man

never had any luck with the "breaking scent" that you are supposed to hang on them. most of the time it smelled like wet hay and deer urine.
i have had luck with using the hock glands and putting them in a can with some cloth scraps or paper towel in the fridge. after they smell like deer put them on mouse traps and just place around where a puppy can get at them. if its a bigger dog use a rat trap.
if its a older dog that has gotten away with running deer its harder. then the ecollar is about the best bet. take them to a feild with deer in it and walk them out to the track. if they run light them up hard. if they are interested even a little tickle them some.
some dogs get it quick some never get it. i like to make sure they have a few good runs on the right game before i go to the collar. and some dogs will need reminded off and on through out there life esp. if you run them with other dogs that arent broke or your buddies dogs.
dogs are like teenagers. one good one alone is fine. 2 or more will probably get in trouble sooner or later. also never shock a dog unless you are 100% sure they are wrong and dont use the collar for obedience, nuisance barking, ect. around the same time frame your trash breaking or you will just have a confused dog.
i'm not an expert by any means but i've broke a few dogs and screwed a few up too. be very careful with the collar as just as many are ruined by it as broke and its a good idea to leave the collar on for a while before and after a session and also even when you think you have them broke its a good insurance policy to have one on when your hunting but be 100% sure before you use it.
i broke a beagle once with the mouse/rat trap method before i ever ran her. one night after she was well started i watched this big doe come bouncing down the trail whie she was running. she came right down the exact trail while i was watching. i didn't have a collar then so i grabbed a stick and was going end that --. i didnt get there fast enough but the doe had circled around when it saw me so i looped around and stood where i saw here go. the dog never made it to me because the rabbit she was running didnt follow the same trail. if i had gotten to that dog fast enough i probably would have ruined my first decent rabbit dog.
also had a coon dog that cost me a bit of money with porkys. so one night when he went treed and i got there and saw a porky about 20 feet up a tree i was pretty ticked to say the least. that hound was about to get an adjustment also when i remembered what i almost did to that beagle. another good look of the tree showed a small coon in a crotch about 15 feet above the porky. one of the hardest things i learned about breaking dogs is the same lesson you learn with your kids..... never correct/punish in anger.
also any dog i evre had that was worth anything would run a deer until it was taught not too.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 PM
The Man

one more thought..... i've had dogs that would never ever run a deer, that took a buck in the rut.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Great stories and info bobcat, thanks a lot! What part of the state are you from if ya dont mind me asking?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 PM
The Man

north east

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Let me ask this; is there any reasonable way to broke them off deer WITHOUT a shock collar . . . or mouse traps (just because I dont have any deer glands to use)? Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page