cooning - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
The Man

cooning

with the cat season so short now i decided we needed to double duty them hounds. getting back into a little coon hunting. almost forgot how a litter of young coon can make a dog look foolish. only treed one tonight but we all got some exercise.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 PM

Re: cooning

one day the PA GC will see the light and extend cat season..

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Part of the Community

Welcome back, bobcat. If you wanna run sometime let me know I have another redbone that I'm running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:25 AM

Do you start your cat dogs on coon when they are young??? Was always curious how you and some of the other strictly cat runners started dogs...

I know my buddy down south starts his bear dogs on coon and then gets em on a boar hunt or 2 before taking them with broke bear dogs....

My buddies dog loves a barn cat....i have half a mind to take him and maybe mine north this winter and cut him on tracks and see what they do....but they are competition coon dogs...id hate to ruin them...but love runnin dogs...i think.a.cat hunt would be a blast...loved my NC bear hunt...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

I competition hunt my females on both squirrel and coon. I would say they are both fairly competitive. Never had an issue with it. I guess if I ever ended up coming across a cat on one of my casts I would take my punishment and not be upset. They are doing what I want them to. None of my dogs got started on bobcats. The closest place for me to find any is a 1.5 hour drive.

HUNTING PA CROW MASTER 2010, 2011 and 2012

If you want the fur hunt a cur.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hey if any of you fellas wouldnt mind someone tagging along Id love to go . . Im just starting to get into it and would love to get out and actually hunt with some experienced guys. Thanks!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
The Man

mauser,
yeah i start mine out on coon. grey fox are better practice as they run more like a cat than a coon does but running coon helps keep them tree minded.
Chaser,
how you been man? i got 2 young walkers here that are too young to start yet. I want to knock a few down for my nancy dog as soon as season comes in. she lacks on the tree some but is coming around. she likes fur in her mouth so i'm thinking a few shot down might help her.
snapper,
good luck getting started. if you stick it can be addicting but plenty of ups and downs. biggest thing i learned when i first started out was most coon hunters lie 2x worse than fishermen. lol

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 AM

thanx mntcur and bobcat!

coon hunters lie?!? NEVER!! HA! ive never seen some grown men lie and cheat like they do at competition hunts! not all are bad...but you gotta be careful and realize they ARE out there...and for every good dog for sale there are 100 that are best off as house pets for sale as great coon dogs...

mntcur, i am gunna send you a PM!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page