coonhound - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

coonhound

Hey guys,

Was wondering if any of you could help me. I have an opportunity to maybe pick up a blue tick that is a 1.5 years old. From my understanding he has never been hunted much. What are your experiences with training a dog at a year and a half? I'm a beagle guy and have started lots of pups and some that were 2-3 years old that never hunted and have had them turn out fine, but I've never owned a coonhound before. The older beagles I've gotten have turned out just by taking them out and getting them on rabbits or with my pack, this coonhound would be a solo deal and not having much experience hunting coons or training coonhounds, I'm not sure if I'll be over my head. Can anybody give me an idea if this would be a good/bad move. I don't want to feed another hound if it doesn't hunt and don't know if he's gonna be too old to start him. Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

When the tailgate drops, the -- stops...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM
The Man

Re: coonhound

if the dog has it in him you should be fine. most coon hounds start later than beagles anyway. if he wasn't hunted because he showed nothing it might be a lost cause but if he just never had an opportunity and he has it in him it won't be hampered because he wasn't started early. i had one i raised from a pup that just never seemed to get it. kept him longer than i should have just because i liked how the dog acted even though he couldn't get it done. one day something just clicked and he turned into an ok dog at 2.5 years old. also sold dogs i thought weren't going to be what i wanted only to have them turn out to be great dogs for their new owners. you won't know till you try but if he don't turn out i don't believe it will be because of the age thing.
you can get alot of coon to a dog in a hurry if you try. not as easy as putting rabbits to beagles but easier that putting cat tracks to them. sometimes i don't decide whether to keep a cat hound until its 3 or 4.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 PM

Years ago the old timers wouldn't start a dog until it was 2 years old. They didn't want the pup to tangle with a coon until it was older.
They would start by trapping coon and releasing the coon and let the dog watch it and then turn it loose. Also make sure you tie the dog to the tree with the coon in it and get it excited and barking. Do this and the dog will be tighter on the tree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 02:10 AM
The Man

If the dog has it, he has it.....and will be fine......I am a big believer that if the dog has good genetics, you dont need to hunt them a lot to have a good dog........that said, there are a lot of pot-lickers out there too, and I have one of them......but, his brother is a power tree dog........

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 AM

Like was said, a coon dog either got it or he dont....or he did and was ruined some way.....ive seen many hounds just plain ruined due to poor handling....

Gotta realize people are liars...i hate to say it but the coonhound circle seems chaulk full of liars sometimes....lots and lots of dogs pawned off that just dont have it or were ruined....

That being said....the best dog i had as a kid was free and 1-2 years old...only coon he ever saw was a hide the guy let him have....he turned out awesome and we didnt have to raise him and feed him a year or 2 to wait and see if he had the right ingredients....

Be careful...it would be dang hard for me to spend a dime on a dog that age "that hasnt been hunted much". I either want fully trained and hunting or 100% never messed with...that way i can do it right or he is already done been trained and a trained dog will fetch a pretty penny if he is worth a dang...

Waiting to train isnt bad....a lot of guys try training way too early imo...my current dog i waited till he was 8-9 months and judged him off his maturity...he showed me he was ready...showed him a caged coon and let him tree it...a couple nites later i took him for a walk and he treed his first coon....he been treeing coon ever since.....

Good coon dogs are hard to come by....seems like beagles and bird dogs and such have a much much higher success rate...coon dogs are hit or miss...lots of poor breeding out there...lots of mishandled dogs...and those dogs get pawned off till someone gets smart...

Good luck with the dog if you decide to get it! Pm me if you have any questions etc...i am no pro.....but ive been runnin coondogs over 15 years of my life...i dont know it all...but i know what works for me and the dogs ive owned/handled/raised/competition hunted...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM
The Man

if you take thew blue dog and paint some white and red on him he will be fine also. lol

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'm still somewhat debating, but I'm thinking I'm going to pass on the bluetick. I don't think the dogs been ruined, just hasn't been hunted. I'm thinking that if I go for another iron in the fire and break from just beagles and jump into coonhounds, I might want to try and get one that is already proven. I know what you mean about hound owners and not always being truthful. I kept for short amounts of time plenty of beagles that I was told were "just out of shape and needed to be run more", but never amounted anything and became someone elses pet. Where do you guys typically get your hounds? Do you have to send for them or are there some reputable breeders with good stock in your areas? I live in south central pa, there aren't a lot of guys that run hounds around here anymore, especially coonhounds. I know that Blue Knob Coonhunters used to have night hunts near Martinsburg, but they haven't for a good while, kinda hard to start out with not many guys around hunting coons anymore. Any suggestions on anyone with decent hounds? Thanks for all the other replys.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 PM

how do you even know if you will enjoy coonhunting... Know guys that thought just because they loved beagling that coonin was going to be a joy to them as well..... Well, none of those guys lasted very long as coonhunters... Be careful with dogs as stated above... I know a guy in Somerset I would reccommend, you near there ????

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I have coonhunted when I was growing up and loved it. I got into beagles mostly because of my working schedule, I worked 3rd shift, so could hunt mostly all day running beagles. I know of a family that coonhunts in my area and have gone twice with them a few years ago, but we just didn't quite click together very well. My good friend who is the same age as what my father would be had coonhounds most of his life, but the last few years has just kept beagles. He would be very willing to help me out and hunt with me, but most of his connections in coonhounds are gone now. I appreciate your guys' help and advice. Wayne, I live about 45 minutes to an hour from Somerset, my brother in law is from Stoystown. Any recommendations would be great, thanks, dave

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Sent ya a PM with contact info. as promised.. sorry it took me some time to find his number..

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page