8 yr old beagle training - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

8 yr old beagle training

I got my beagle for free. She is 8 yrs old. I got him from a guy who said that he hunted with her last season. I took her out this morning, and she didnt listen she took off on her own. We were hunting this Christmas tree patch. She headed down the hollow beside me. I kept calling her, and she checked in one time. What can I do? I really would like to hunt with her this fall. She ended up at the neighbors property. What type of training should I do with her. Is she a lost cause at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 8 yr old beagle training

Sounds to me like she was hunting. Did she run any rabbits? How far away did she end up from where you turned her loose? If she has any drive, she probably isn't going to come if you try to call her back right after you turned her loose, especially if it's been since last fall that anybody had her off the leash.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpa
Sounds to me like she was hunting. Did she run any rabbits? How far away did she end up from where you turned her loose? If she has any drive, she probably isn't going to come if you try to call her back right after you turned her loose, especially if it's been since last fall that anybody had her off the leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I was hunting in a patch of christmas trees. she took off and went down the forested hollow next to me. She ended up at the end of the hollow. THe owner of the property called me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Do you think she will hunt if I work with her off the leash? She just chased a rabbit in the yard tonight. She always has her nose down. I am looking to get another puppy at some time. How hard are they to train?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Part of the Community

What is your main concern with this dog? From the way you described it you put her down on the ground and she started hunting. Sounds like a step in the right direction to me. I'm not trying to come off smart I'm just trying to understand what you want out of her.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 PM
The Man

how long have you had her? if you just got her and took her hunting she isn't going to listen to you. you might want to work on getting her to realize you are the new boss and getting her to come when called. a check cord and some hotdogs does wonders. it won't mean she will listen all the time when hunting. beagles are hard headed but you got to get the basics down first which hopfully she knows but needs to know she needs to listen to you now.
if it continues after you establish who is boss and make friends with her you might have work her with an e-collar but i would bet she is just pumped up to go hunting and doesn't realize your the boss.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for all of your help. I want her to listen to me. I want her to come when I call her especially if we are hunting. we live near a busy highway. i bought under ground fence to put in for her. I dont have it in yet. So i cannot let her off of the leash presently. When I took her hunting last week that is when she ran off on me. I have had her for about 3 months.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 AM

Sent you a PM.

I would not expect a dog that old to be easy to train as you would like a dog to handle. Doable, yes, maybe! At her age I'd expect she's fairly set in her ways. JMHO
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm curious how this is going for you? We are looking at using our beagle/pit mix 4 year old as a squirrel dog and this is my fear, too - that she will just not stay in reasonable distance. She's always been a leash dog in urban areas but she has all of the indicators of being a great squirrel dog at the off-leash park. We have yet to take her out to try it in the woods, but it's my understanding that beagles have been bred to find prey and then lead you to it. They are not really bred to retrieve or come back when called - it's not in their nature. I am hoping that ours will find something, then stay with it until we arrive. I guess the best you can hope is that the dog is more interested in hunting than in the highway? Another idea we've had is to keep her leashed until we are in a place where we're comfortable there is game for her to chase. Or keep her leashed until it's clear she's scenting a tracking something (she will pull). Anyway, expecting it to be an adventure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page