Sporting Dog Owners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Sporting Dog Owners

PGC meeting with Sporting Dog Owners... Tuesday June 26th @ approx 1:00PM after Commissioners meeting.

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Sporting Dog Owners

This would be a great way for those of you who want a bear chase season for hounds to voice your opinion!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

My son and I were there as part of the PA fox and Coyote hunters association. It was a good meeting. Several commissioners, Carl Roe, Richard Palmer (head of law enforcement) and Mr Eidler (sp? name?)(in charge of permits) and biologist Matt Lovello. I believe were present. The PA fox and coyote hunters chaired the meeting, and engaged in dialogue about adding hunting to the trapping of fishers as we move forward, review of hound shooting incident, discussion of how the split bobcat season initially impacted things, etc, the PA beaglers were well represented, as well, and hounded (hehe) the PGA on several issues- adding mentored youth rabbit season, eliminating the need for permits on regulated hunting grounds), concerns about the hare situation and an influx of hunters into areas where hare hunting is still permitted. offered thier members services in working on establishing what the hare population is- ala what the bird dogs folks have done with pheasant flush surveys. The treeing dog folks (PA nighthunters I believe) also had thier president and vice president there as well. They spoke of several dog shooting incidents, including the one referenced by PA Fox/Coyote hunters as it was referred to them as it involved treeing hounds, dog training restrictions due to WPRA zones, questions about the fisher reintroduction, etc as well were asked. One gentleman representing himself as bird dog hunter I believe asked several different questions concerning WPRAs and the closure of entire game lands/areas to dog training two weeks prior to youth pheasant hunts, etc. He engaged in some good back and forth discussion and presented himself and sportsman well. In all there were maybe 35-50 folks in attendance. Maybe a bit more. Folks if you own a hound in PA and don't belong to one of the three groups present at the meeting- the fox/coyote hounds, beaglers, and treeing dog associations you doing yourself, your hounds and your fella houndsman a disservice. There is strength in numbers and Richard Palmer commented on the steadily increasing membership of the PA fox and coyote hunters, the spokesman for the beaglers mentioned the membership across the state. membership numbers are important, attendance and a showing at meetings such as this matters. The cynical would call this a dog and pony b..ch session, but real changes have come from it over the years and the foundation for future changes continues to be forged and the walls on some issues continue to be chipped away at. For the price of 15 cups of coffee you could probably become a member of any one of these groups. join, get involved, protect our interests as sportsman!
Anyone else from the board in attendance? My son was the handsome little gentleman that sat on the floor of the diaz next to Dick as he facilitated the meeting. I thought he was pretty well behaved for sitting through a meeting that didn't involve the handling of frogs or salamanders, where legos and pokemon were not mentioned. Keystonepaul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well I'm hoping that next year the GC will allow small game hunting in WPRAs through the entire season and not just up to February First. Dumbest thing in my opinon. I will continue on a monthly basis send my issue to board.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page