Training season for bear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Training season for bear

When will PA ever agree to a hound training season for bear????....i can't figure it...we can run everything from rabbits pheasant..coyotes, coon, fox, bobcat..but not bear. Being an avid bear hunter it totally baffles me that it's ok to get a large gang of guys together and put drives on for bear. Many times you can hear other gangs of guy's driving the mt across from you at the same time...wam ,bam,slam..sometimes sounds like a war when you get them moving...yet if i take a couple hounds..let them trail and tree a bear..then leash them up and lead them away without ever firing a shot and the bear no worse for wear...that's illegal!!....lol..duh..makes no sense!!!!..hunting with tree hounds is about as close to catch and release hunting as you can get....So why not a training season?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Training season for bear

I would love to see a bear training season, in this state I doubt it will ever happen though.

Free Madcatter!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Too much posted ground and roads...don't get me wrong I would love to see it but, I am really surprised the coyote guys don't have more problems.

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:28 PM

That would be great but with all the hunters in PA in bear season someone else would get the bear which I guess isn't the bad thing. Bad thing is all the confusion it would create for you. Only way it would work is if there was a dog season. Guess you used to be able to train dogs for bear here but not hunt them. Was talking to a guy and he was young every community had a dump. They would run the bear off the dump with their bear dogs to train them and hunt bear in states that allowed it.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know West Virginia has hound bear hunting but I believe it's only in the least populated counties. I'm sure it could be done hear in PA if they limited it to a few northcentral counties and had a hound hunting only season.I'm sure the game commission would see bear license sales double!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I wouldn't care if it was only a training season before the regular season...We can take our dogs to other states to hunt them during the kill season..And the Private ground argument is a lame one as well..PA has hundreds of thousands of acres of SF land and game lands...far far more than many other states that run bear...and yes it could easily be limited to certain areas...and for the record coyotes will run every bit as far and farther than a bear..and that's legal.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

it's really hard to get stuff like that passed here in PA...I think about the only way would be to recruit the help from sportsman federations from other states like WV..wisconsin , Va , Maine, Michigan, North Carolina , Tenn..and the western states is the only way to have even an inkling of hope..otherwise it will just fall on deaf ears....i was recently discussing this very issue with a guide from Wisconsin and he mentioned how they went to board meetings in front of their wildlife people and got some things changed ....lol..i just laughed..and said good luck doing that in PA.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM

WE HAVE PUSHED FOR THIS FOR YEARS !! what do they say, public opionion is against it...

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 AM

after running bear dogs in NC im itchin to get back down and run em again!! being a born and raised coon hunting, that was just awesome...

it was sept on the coast...talk about a thick jungle...we had a great run...we got about 100yds from the tree and i spotted the bears..a sow and 2 cubs...right about that time the sow decided to bail! i could see the plott dogs jumping up the tree at her and she was maybe 6ft above them upside down swatting at them before she bailed...she jumped over the 3 dogs and the chase was on! she went into a huge block we didnt wanna run so we got them caught on the road...

i dont know why PA dont have a training season...my guess is just because there isnt a kill season with dogs...hate to say it but i doubt we'll ever see bear hounds allowed...

land isnt the issue IMO...the areas where the bear population is high is typically large tracts of public land...

the issue is the public approval..hunters and non-hunters...the hunters dont want "the dog hunters killing all the bear" because they think its so much easier and the hound runners got it easy blah blah etc...and the non-hunters just generally dont like hound hunters...ive seen that a fair bit..people hating hound hunting more than anything just because its hound hunting...ive even had people tell me how cruel it was for me to MAKE a dog go hunting and i should do it myself if i wanna hunt coon...sorry thats as far from the truth as you can get...come to the milk house when the sun goes down...you'll see 2 pups that are absolutely dying and crying to go hunting...boy do they get upset if the milk house lights go out and we leave the barn and their collars and leads arent on and they are going to their box not loading in the truck to go hunting...anyone that ever hunted hounds knows that them dogs are born and raised to hunt and they just love it...if they dont love it, you probably dont got much of a hound..
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM

When we come to realize that the Pa. Game Commission is not a hound hunter friendly organization, we get it.. They rule and reign by public opinion, why do you think there is no spring hunting in Pa. over bait for bear.... NOT SCIENCE, public opinion of it... The "Public" doesn't like it the PGC is afraid to enact it, Good solid game management practices are not permitted based on OPINION not fact..

Started hounding these bears that are hand fed by folks and see how you change their behavior away from no fear of humans, as it should be, to FEAR of humans !!

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page