Beagles for coyote - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Beagles for coyote

I was dropping off some fur for the NAFA guy at Gander Mountain in Johnstown about a month and a half ago and ran into a guy that told me about all the coyotes he got while running them with beagles! I've never heard of this but it really caught my attention. He said that beagles don't run that fast so the coyotes tend to keep ahead at a slower pace and sometime will even circle like a rabbit.
Has anybody else here about this or use beagles for yote?

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM
The Man

Re: Beagles for coyote

my old cold trailing cat dog is 1/2 beagle and i used to run him on yotes with a buddies dog who was also 1/2 beagle.
Another friend also used to run them with this little tiny beagle but had another 1/2 beagle in there too.
you don't need speed to kill coyotes. and yes they will circle smaller somwtimes with slower hounds if the cover is thick. only problem is when the yote or yotes stops an wants to fight. But some beagles esp. in a pack that is matched up well are pretty gritty. (snowshoes beagle piled into a 200lb bear last year)

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM

only problem I see is when the yote turns for a fight..Den guarding time of year I think would be the worse for this...

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
The Man

yup running small dogs or even one dog alone when the females are heavy with young or got a litter is about the best way to break a dog from running them.
my one cat dog is a small but gritty walker. i don't want her running them but she liked them at first. even after getting the e-collar a few times. then one day the e-collar wasn't working and off she went. didn't take long after them 2 yotes stpped for her to change her mind.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Valentino
only problem I see is when the yote turns for a fight..Den guarding time of year I think would be the worse for this...
+1
I've had two beagles grabbed by coyote while hunting cottontail. One, to this day, will high tail it back to the truck if he catches wind of a nearby yote.
All the guys I hunt coyote with use mostly running walkers.

Never Misses
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM

very very few beagles would have enough grit to make coyote dogs...none.. would be a match for a coyote that decides he's done running... there are some bigger hounds that won't do it.. let alone a beagle....unless of course it's a gritty old plott or a hound like a redbone coonhound i had...lol..he had a way of changing a fighting coyotes mind real quick...i had a deal of a time keeping him broke off of them..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Ive loaned out a few hounds during the coon hunting season..if i have pups to train..i loaned out the male redbone i mentioned above to a couple different guys over the years...one fall i loaned him out. I told the guy, run him with a shock collar because he has a passion for fox and coyote. Well sure enough, one night he struck and lit out after what appeared to be a fox or coyote, and he didn't have a shock collar on him..It really wasn't a very long chase and ended with the dog bayed up in the rocks on the steep side of the mt. Upon arriving at the scene my buddy saw the redbone had what he thought must be a fox down in under some big rocks..when he got close the dog got a boost of confidence and dove in..and all heck broke loose and up outa the rocks he came with not a fox but a large coyote..the dog was really giving it to him.. but the coyote was able to break free and shoot down the mt like a rocket with the redbone in hot pursuit..it took my buddy 4 hrs to get him back upon which he promptly brought him back to me and said "i won't hunt him he's freaking nuts!!."...lol..show me a beagle that can do that and you'll make a believer out of me...my guess is.. had that been a beagle.. that coyote would have ate good that night.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM

I know of more than one guy that run coyotes with beagles. They get plenty. I can't say how many hounds they lose but it is not many...Not all beagles are created equal

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 PM

i guess if you do decide to run coyotes with beagles my advice would be to use plenty..there is strength in numbers..although i have heard of guy's using only one or two tough old hounds for coyote(most use more)..if you try that with beagles you stand a very, very good chance of eventually losing a dog...say what you will...But NO!! beagle is a match for a coyote.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM

here are a few things i found online...my point is this..if you want to try beagles..use a pack of them..but honestly i don't know why you would when other breeds would be better suited..
from a guy who uses beagles..his answer to the question about beagle safety.

"You ever catch a coyote with your beagles if so hows it turn out?"
his answer..
"Well....If they catch up to one....they bay it up....then one(or more) of our group goes in to finish it off....we try to always run at least 2 dogs at a time for dog safety and to keep the coyote's respect....we have had a single dog backed down by a coyote on several occassions.....we have been fortunate and have never had a dog seriously wounded. "
sounds risky at best..

another comment by a coyote hunter..

"A fresh coyote will be all over a dog[I believe, any dog], in a one on one fight. A tough dog with alot of stamina & heart, may eventually get the best of a lone coyote by getting a [throat hold]..."may". But, will surey pay for it's efforts.

I've seen quite afew dog[sighthound] & coyote fights. These have been after the coyote has been caught after a chase, some a short chase, some after a long chase. They are a blur in a fight, especially when they are fresh & not wore down.

One noted dog fight many yrs ago. Jack, a 85lb male kick butt Greyhound. Caught a 47lb female coyote alone out in a mile section. Jack caught her after she had already ran 1/2 mile. They fought one on one face to face, as witnessed by my friend Larry.

Shortly, into this fight. The coyote was kicking his butt. Soon Jack broke off the fight, as he had, had enough. But the coyote wanted more of this dog & "ran him down", two more times to fight him some more.

Coyote broke off & ran another 1/2 mile. One more large[fresh] tough Greyhound was dumped on this female coyote. They fought hard, one on one. Coyote, kicked that dog's butt as well.

Our trailhound Pokey, eventually bayed her another 1/2 mile into a section. I killed her with my shotgun.
"After talking to people off line and reading some on here Re coyotes attacking and or killing beagles .I was curious as to what can be done to protect our dogs during a hunt , what do you do ,do you carry an extra gun just to shoot the yote or do you make your beagle wear protective gear?
Last year a few times ,one of us would be waiting for the rabbit to go past when all of sudden the bunny goes by then the yote then the beagle ,we`d take shot at the bunny and the yote and then the dog would pass but so far we`ve not had any attacks.
"The boy's in CB have lost over 30 hounds so far, Foxhill has a first hand account as his females got hit hard in the early fall and they chased his male right into his arms. Our friend from PEI that runs the trial circuit lost 2 in the spring to the yotes and not sure if lost a 3rd in the fall or if it just got tore up and the one he is trialing and winning with got tore up. Best defence is a good offence always be ready for them as they are opportunistic and will eat anythin

"I lost one hound the year before last, and my lemon beagle came back, but badly beat up. Multiple bite marks and cuts, quite a mess. I never did see the other one"

"Wow. I know my friend lost 4 in one year and is out of it now aftre probally 30 years of raising and hunting beagles as is quite a few others.Man we have a strange breed of coyote it seems here."

do what you want..but if i were to choose dogs for coyote hunting...it wouldn't be beagles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in