Bobcat hounds? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Bobcat hounds?

i've always wanted to shoot a bobcat over hounds but never got a tag. looking into doing it now in the future. just wondering what the difference is between a bobcat hound, coon hound, coyote/fox hound, or are they all one in the same? may be a dumb question but just wondering. I've always wanted to do either bobcat and/or coon, always thought thatd be cool. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
The Man

Re: Bobcat hounds?

Basically the same breeds can be used for all of the above, although some of the coyote guys use running walkers, and foxhounds instead of treeing walkers..........but a lot of guys hunt their hounds on coon, and bobcat.........breeders breed their dogs for certain characteristics, so there are big game hound subsets bred into a lot of the coonhound breeds that the guys out west, and up north use on bears, mountain lions etc.......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

so say a bluetick or a walker that runs coon will also run bobcats? i know like with the my beagles they ran rabbits and that was it...wouldnt bother with a coon track but did occasionally run a grey fox if it was in the area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 AM
The Man

Quote:
so say a bluetick or a walker that runs coon will also run bobcats? i know like with the my beagles they ran rabbits and that was it...wouldnt bother with a coon track but did occasionally run a grey fox if it was in the area
It depends on the dog, how they were trained, and somewhat on the breeding that the dog has..........my blueticks will run the occasional bobcat, but it isn't their first choice, and I never made an attempt to totally break them off of them................but if a guy has a coonhound that he has broken of everything but coon, its more than likely not going to run a cat track................some guys train them to specifically hunt both, it just depends on what you want, and the training......but If I was going to look at a dog to specifically run cats with I would look for one with some of the big game blood in it.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd think about getting one one day to run bobcats and coons but would have to hunt both over dogs before doing so. Thanks again
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Banned

It takes a special dog to be called a cathound. A guy will spend thousands on a good one. Most guys will give up trying to train one.This is something you might want to think about.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I know just from training bird dogs what it takes to get a good one. I can only imagine traing a cat hound due to the difficulty of finding cats for them to chase.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It's not so much finding cats to run. Bobcats are easily the most challenging animals to run I've ever seen. From short circles over and over and over their tracks to tree climbing and jumping to deadfall running and jumping and even watched a big tom climb a tree next to a rock face up 30 feet and jump to the rock and continue on. They have little hesitation to swim, even wide bodies of water. So yes it takes awesome dogs to harvest cats consistently! Many dogs can run them for a while, but few can finish it and have the cat at the end of the chase.

HUNTING PA CROW MASTER 2011 and 2012
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin_buck
i've always wanted to shoot a bobcat over hounds but never got a tag. looking into doing it now in the future. just wondering what the difference is between a bobcat hound, coon hound, coyote/fox hound, or are they all one in the same? may be a dumb question but just wondering. I've always wanted to do either bobcat and/or coon, always thought thatd be cool. thanks guys
The length of their tail.

HUNTING PA CROW MASTER 2010, 2011 and 2012

If you want the fur hunt a cur.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM

ive had coonhounds over the years that trailed bobcat...one thing that is fairly common is cats that jump from the tree....One of the greatest misconceptions about tree hounds (coonhunting)..is that a dog that trees on a lot of slick (empty ) trees is too tree minded...but actually a dog that trees a lot of empty trees has a TRACKING !! problem not a treeing problem...common sense would tell you that if the coon (or bobcat) isn't up there. then the track didn't end there....very important for a cat hound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page