Yote hounds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yote hounds

I often think about getting a yote hound or two. What does a started youngster cost these days? Are there any yote hound guys on here in SWPA that would be willing to let me run hounds with theirs? How do u guys keep them in shape thru the summer months?

-"of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy" --

William Sherwood Fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Re: Yote hounds

Run them all summer long at night only.

Can get a started dog for around 300-600 and a finshed one that can do it all from cold trail, to trailing, to baying/fighting on it own it can be anywhere from 600-5000 depending on how good he or she is. Most we bought that were fully broke and still have around because they made the cut were 800-2000
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned

you can get a good pup for a hundred to two hundred dollars. No need to pay any more than that. You can also get a good started dog or even a finished dog for that that is not junk. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. Someone getting out, someone inherited thier fathers, uncles, neighbors hounds, someone has too many hounds, etc. Don't let price fool you there are as many hounds sold for much more that are junk (percentage wise) as junk sold for a hundred bucks. Geeze If I owned 5000 dollar foxhound He'd be running with tears in his eyes, hoping when I boxed him up nobody saw him riding in the back of a 97 Ford pick up. It might be beneath him......Keystonepaul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What breeds do you guys use?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would also say you can get a pretty good started or finished dog for a few hundred - but not at this time of year.

Maplewood Plotts & Curs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Banned

Running walkers and 3/4 running walker 1/4 plott cross
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 AM

It's the same as anything else in life, YOU GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN!! Coyotes aren't like rabbits, it takes alot of time and effort on your part and the dogs part to get that scent down. They need to be placed in a pen with coyotes in order to do that in my opinion and it takes months in that pen to do that (not cheap either). Also, you can't quit in early March and expect them to be ready again in November when you want to start again...it is a year long sport and anything less than your full comitment to it will fail.. So, if your not willing or can't put in the time needed then don't start...it's not fair to the dog..coyote hounds are what you make them .. AFTER YOUR ALL IN, then we can get into the arguement of breeds, crosses and the genetics part of the sport!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page