Beagle pup help! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Beagle pup help!

I have a 14 month old male out of Branko's. I will freely admit I am no expert when it comes to training hounds so that is why I am asking here..

Here is the situation:

I have had a hard time getting rabbits in font of my pup..he has sight chased and hammerd away on 1 Rabbit and has brought one other rabbit around to me in a very short chase, but he really never opend up like I would like him to. He wines and gets real excited, but no real bark. When he is leashed and we see a Rabbit in the yard almost daily he will open up if he sees it run, but only whine when he smells the trail on the ground. Now in the woods he smells rabbits and will only get excited and whine. I think they are mostly cold tracks but hard to say with no snow.

The pup hunts hard and listend to voice and hand commands relly well in the woods. He is a real nice dog and I want it to work out in the worst way.

I have joined Puketos Beagle club, but even at the club I have had a hard time getting Rabbits kicked out to him. I dont have the space for another Beagle and all I want is to be able to hunt Rabbits successfuly w/ this hound.

I have not hunted him with another dog yet as I really want him to run rabbits solo as this is how I will hunt him.

I think the simple answer is to get more Rabbits in front of him, but I've stuggled in doing so and now the puppy pens at the club are closed until June. (he has yet to see a rabbit in the pen)

All suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Banned

Re: Beagle pup help!

Run him with other dogs he will learn to open. Once he does then start soloing him. Is he directly from Branko or does he just have Branko blood in his line and u are calling him a Branko dog. Give me a call I live 5 mins from pucketos. Some dogs only run track with a loud squeal. I have a male that runs track with a squeal and chop. I am assuming what u are talking about is mor of a dog whimpering on an older track.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 04:31 PM

gotta love this site sometimes!!

"A mans ego is a helluva weight for a little hound to have to carry"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the response PawsnClaws

You are right - I am incorrectly calling him a branko dog.

I bought the pup from Tony Iannarelli & James Thoburn of Top Shelf Kennels near wheeling, WV.

Sire is Branko's Hi boy and Dam is Shearer's Lucky Penny.

Are you planning on heading out at all this weekend?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFK32
I think the simple answer is to get more Rabbits in front of him
I think you just answered your own question. Time afield is a key factor. Do you have anywhere around your house to run? We generally have pups broke between 4-6 months old. Time afield and good genetics are the two major factors IMO.

Never Misses
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

I can go out Sunday afternoon if you want to head out and see what he can do with other dogs. I would defiantly not recommend talking him out in the and shooting yet until you have him running a rabbit better.

Let me know I can meet you down the club and we can give it a shot and see what he does. He may be a little tough though since most are started around 4-6 months. The one 8 month old male I have now was running at 4.5 months.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Part of the Community

Try trapping some rabbits. Let your dog check the rabbit out in trap for while. Should get him excited. And let the rabbit loose in front of him. Just an idea
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys - I'm going to try and trap a Rabbit this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page