Started Coyote Hound? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Started Coyote Hound?

Does anyone know where I could find a good started coyote hound? I love calling them, just would like to get another reason to hunt them (gf thinks I hunt them too much now, so if I spend some money on a dog I hafta hunt them even more right lol?).
Thanks

Mathews Drenaline
Rage 2 Blades
Beeman ICS Hunters
HHA Sight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 AM

Re: Started Coyote Hound?

should try talking with some coyote hound guys....i doubt many, if any at all run only ONE hound which is seems like you are wanting just one...i could be wrong...but i think most run a few dogs at a time...and some run even bigger packs...and keep some in the truck to pick up tired dogs and dump fresh dogs on the track etc...

not to mention, 1 dog on a bayed yote or yote that decides to turn on the dog, and your just feeding the yote a good dog...ive had 2 coon dogs attacked a bunch of different times now..occasionally at the tree but most times they bump into them or actually run the yote and the yote turns on them...

like i said, i may be wrong..but i think running yotes is typically a few dog pack or more kinda deal..put some pressure on the yote...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Firefight,
I may have a lead on what you're looking for. I'll PM you. Are you (and hopefully a couple buddies) going to hunt only your future dog or do you want to get into a group that already has hounds? If you're hunting the dog alone, you and the dog will learn alot together. If you get involved with an established group that has broke dogs you can run with, your future dog will get on-the-job-training.

Mauser,
Not looking to jump all over and contradict you - just gonna give a different perspective - Within our group, we may do things a little different than others but, we have just as many one dog chases as multiple dog chases. We rarely have a coyote stop and stand off a dog - but it has happened and the coyote can easily get the best of the situation. On the other hand, there are alot of hounds that one-on-one, will stretch a yote (and not just a little yote). I used to own one. The more dogs you run (beyond 2), the more chance you have for error. We also rarely spike in fresh dogs on a chase although if we have a loss may try to get it going again with a new dog.

Maplewood Plotts & Curs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks guys, ya I was lookin to get like two dogs and try to get into a group...I was goin to try two at a time, and I know from some breeders you can get them that are pretty much "trained" to fight, but like mauser said I would be a little worried about one turning and me ending up with a big vet bill or worse...thanks any leads help CasB

Mathews Drenaline
Rage 2 Blades
Beeman ICS Hunters
HHA Sight
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just sent you a PM. After reading your last post, what I sent might be a real good lead.

Maplewood Plotts & Curs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've been running coyotes with dogs for over 25 years and while coyotes that stop and turn on the dogs happen fairly often, most dogs can keep a single at bay. Where you get in trouble with a single dog is when you jump a pair and they both turn on the dog. My advise is don't run a single dog, have never had them turn on a pair.

HUNTING PA CROW MASTER 2011 and 2012
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

thanks tntelkhntr, CasB sent me a number for a guy who has 2 for sale I'm going to call about them today and see what I can do...I have people tell me I can run 1 or 2 then some who say they run 15 or 16 with fresh dogs still in the trucks to dump out so I figure I can run two once or twice, with some of my buddies and see how it goes, then if something happens I found a group to join if the two can't get the job done

Mathews Drenaline
Rage 2 Blades
Beeman ICS Hunters
HHA Sight
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

I can tell you one thing if you dont have a bunch of free time like every weekend to run them and the whole day to spend each day you are out dont waste your time. It is a blast I have had them for last 3 years, but it is the most time and effort you will ever put into any hound there is. Make sure you have a small fortune to spend also between the dogs that are 1500 or more for a good one the shock collars the tracking collars the marine radios oh and more gas money then you can imagine.

Also if you get nice prices on a coyote dog there probably garbage I have gone through 4 different dogs in the last 3 years that where priced under a 1000 all had a major flaw. When you get that one right dog you are going to a pay for it and thats what you need to really have a good successful season. I would say if you truely are going to try it by one amazing dog that is going to cost you and then try out differnt true pups out of good lines and see how they work out. Its going to take years, but the chances of buying a good pack with out paying a small fortune would be unreal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page