Beagle Mix- Bolts! Anyone have shock collar? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Beagle Mix- Bolts! Anyone have shock collar?

We've raised beagles our whole lives so naturally I was attracted to the cute beagle mixed with an english bulldog. Can you say beagle on steroids, lol?

He's bad as all [censored], but the big problem is he bolts out the doors when the kids come in or out or he runs into the screen door til it opens and bolts, slips past us carrying in groceries. He used to run to the neighbors with dogs, but now he looks behind him and as long as you're following, he runs like something bit him in the butt. He almost got hit by a car several times this evening on the "chase" which led me a mile away on foot.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Aside from constantly caging him, we need a more immediate fix as he is in danger when he runs. We did the puppy classes and all of that and yes, we've worked on recall training and all of the above, but he's beagle and we've had similar diffculties with most beagles, if I'm not within reach of you, I don't always have to listen. Beagle owners, I'm guessing you will know what I'm talking about.

Here's my plea...

Anyone have sound advice?

Anyone have a shock collar we can borrow? I honestly can't afford a new one or to fix our old Beagler (non-working) at the moment. Willing to do some sort of trade or borrow it with collateral? Let me know!

IF YOU SEND ME A PM, I WON'T GET IT USUALLY UNLESS I SEND ONE FIRST. REPLY & TELL ME TO PM YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Re: Beagle Mix- Bolts! Anyone have shock collar?

Put in a underground pet fence Sportdog has the best one I have found. Not sure how big of an area you have, but it comes with the most wire and the most heavy duty collar. I run an acre one on my one coyote hound that lives and the house and one beagle that lives in the house. No worries and they get a ton of exercise best investment I ever bought. I paid less for it then a good shocking system.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Put the dog on a chain outside. That should stop his bolting....specially when he comes to the end of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sounds like obediance issue. Try going to the door like you are going to leave, he should run over and get ready to bolt. Start to open the door, when he bolts slam it shut even if he is half way out. Do this a few times and he will get the point, he bolts he gets slammed in the door jam.

I have a 1 year old GSP and they are VERY energetic dogs. I can let my door wide open go outside do what I need and he will sit right at the door way waiting on my release for him to come out. By all means I am beginner when it comes to trainin, he is my first dog let alone hunting dog.

I would also stay away from the ecollar until you do a proper introduction. An ecollar is a VERY valuable tool to train with and you dont want to blast him thining he is learning when he is NOT.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 PM

I understand the tough love thing with slamming it in the door, but you can really hurt a dog by doing that, and probably wouldn't like the vets price quote.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

haha, i dont necisarily mean tough love and SLAM it in the door. Just make an effort to close the door before he get to/thru it. Show him that he goes out when YOU allow him. Who is the alpha male in this situation You or the dog? Not trying to be mean, you just have to show the dog that you are the master in the situation and what you say goes. I dont advocate abusing an animal to get it to do what you want, that is not what I was trying to say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page