Bobcats - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Bobcats

hey guys. been a looong time since i posted. im living in north central colorado now, but still get on this forum often because PA is where Im from and the country I love. Im fixing to get a mt cur or two here in the near future to run on cats here in the mountains. Im looking to see if any of you have any info on running these dogs and cats and the occasional coon. I have run coons and rabbits over hounds a lot back east, but cats will be a new thing to me. any advice, tips, tricks, or special considerations to take into account? your help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Bobcats

There are some big game Kemmer's out west used on cats but if it was me, I'd be looking for a hound from someone out there that is a successful cat hunter.

Maplewood Plotts & Curs
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 AM

Out there where you are at is where to look, like CasB said. Used to be a guy that posted on cur sites with Kemmers that went back to a dog named Frey's Nevada Stryker. He hunted his dog on cats- bobcats and mountain lion. They could cold trail and were very impressive. If you can find a Stryker bred Kemmer that is where I would look for a cur. He also used his dogs on 'yotes. He went by the screen name Maverick. Don't know if he still has dogs or is around.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 AM

Just checked do a search for Frey's Nevada Striker or Stryker not to sure of the spelling or if it is Frey's or Freyes. Lots of stuff out there on him. Here is a link that has some pictures of Striker breed kemmers.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...Number=1949516

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Right on. i will look into that, thanks. Im not really interested in conventional trail hound breeds, because I do like to hunt a number of different critters, and curs seem more versatile.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 AM
The Man

You should check out the Cameron line of blueticks, excellent big game hounds.......a lot of guys out west, and in the northeast run them on bear, and cats.........and a lot of guys here in the east hunt them on coon, they are a very versatile bluetick line....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:35 PM

Sure. If you look around there are striker bred curs out there. I believe stiker was out of Kemmers Gold Nugget and Blondie lv. Not sure of the female but the female was heavy in Gold Nugget. That links tells of his breeding. So if you can't get one that is striker bred maybe a heavy breed Gold Nugget will do you good. I think there is a site called kemmer haters which is all about kemmers. You could register there and see what you can learn and maybe get some leads. Some of them sure look like awsome dogs. Maverick used to post some awsome pictures on squirrel dog central years ago.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks huntsmen. i have been doing a lot of research on the topic, but theres a lot to wade through. like i say, id like to run cats primarily, but occasionally pinch hit on coons here, and maybe squirrels whenever im back east. curs, from what i understand, seem to be versatile enough to do that. if im wrong, feel free to correct me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Curs will work just fine for everthing mentioned. I use mine for bobcats, squirrels and coons with good success here in PA. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

HUNTING PA CROW MASTER 2010, 2011 and 2012

If you want the fur hunt a cur.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Part of the Community

MTCURHUNTER, are you using differant dogs for each type of game or do you have dogs that will run all three?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page