Food recs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Food recs

We’re picking up our first puppy next week. Looking for some recommendations for a decent brand of dog food. Doesn’t have to be top shelf, just a decent food that’s not full of crap you can’t pronounce.

Thanks!

Micah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:48 PM
Part of the Community

Depends on dog as well. Large boned, small boned, kibble size?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Goldador. Puppy at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:41 PM
Part of the Community

I could see that being a larger dog when fully grown so I would feed a large breed puppy food for at least a year. Not all puppy foods are created equal and large breed food is meant to allow the bones/joints to not grow so rapidly during development. My Coonhounds and Basset Hounds of past the vet always recommended large breed puppy because of their larger joints. I used to feed Merrick (which is still awesome food) but it got expensive once we added another dog so right now I feed Purina Smartblend large breed. The dogs like it and the vet said it's not as good as Merrick or Blue Buffalo Wilderness but for the price he said it's hard to beat. All depends on budget. www.dogfoodadvisor.com gives ratings and ingredient breakdown of what is good/bad of all different kinds of food. I research there a lot when trying/changing foods.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Sage

The kennel I bought my present setter pup from recommended Nutri Source, that is all they feed. I took their advice and started her on puppy Nutri Source and moved to adult at a year old. She is in top condition, solid stool beautiful coat. I fed Purina Pro Plan to my last setter and he never had a good solid stool, I will never go back to it. Nutri Source has a good selection of flavors and the ingredient list looks good. I would never go back to Purina or feed any brand just because is less expensive then premium brands.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 05-15-2019 at 02:54 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 AM

My Field Bred English Cocker has done well with Taste of the Wild.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Don't skimp on food. You need larger portions because the food is not as nutritious, so you might as well get a better brand. You wouldn't do well if you ate junk food every day. Same goes for a dog. I feed my Brittany Nutro Essential. I also give her fish oil and cosequin every day. She is ten years old and fairly active for her age.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page