Pet rabbits and hounds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By psychobeagle12

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Pet rabbits and hounds

I have wanted a pet rabbit for as long as I can remember. I have two main barriers to this dream: I am severely allergic, and I own three beagles with a nasty habit of chasing the little furballs Anyone out there have both hunting dogs and pet rabbits? Been doing some research on how to care for pet rabbits because I really love them, but the last thing I want is to come home and find a dead pile of fur and three happy dogs. What do you guys think? Bad combo?

Just so you know, this isn't an impulsive Easter thing. I have always wanted one and would be doing research before deciding on ANYTHING! I think my wife is allergic too, so the chances of us actually being able to get a bunny are slim, but I'm thinking that if we build a hutch outside that will make it easier so that'd probably be the ticket for us.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:56 AM

If the dogs are confined and the rabbit is confined, and they can not get to each other you should not have those problems, but I would worry about the allergies.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:45 AM

Daughter and son-in-law had a pet rabbit and kept it in their house. When the bunny got to full maturity they found that it had an uncontrollable desire to gnaw on baseboards and quarter round.....
It also became very aggressive, bit and scratched them a lot.

Now, I ain't no expert but if I had this urge to have a pet rabbit I would not not have it in the house (hutch outside) and I would not have it alone (needs "companionship" if you get my drift).

Be prepared for what to do with little bunnies.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I would probably have two or three rabbits, but they would be 'fixed' bunnies... no little bunnies unless I'm raising meat bunnies (something I also would like to do at some point... rabbit is by far my favorite meat.) The allergies are definitely the bigger barrier. My wife is being tested for bunny allergies, and if she isn't allergic I may just get them and not worry about it. Definitely thinking outside hutch and a rabbit run is the better way to go.
jimsdad likes this.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Fixed bunnies - what will they think of next?

BTW, when I lived in Europe (40 + years ago) I saw European hares at street markets and sometimes in cages at restaurants where patrons could chose which one they wanted for dinner (kind of like how people pick out a lobster). Brother, let me tell you that them bunnies are very, very LARGE......

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Regular Visitor

Raised meat rabbits for years and really enjoyed them. I can tell you different rabbits have different personalities and some are very smart. Can be littered trained to cat boxes and will come when called. Also, there is, or at least was a great market for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page