Lost beagles again :( - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Lost beagles again :(

My dad was running his two dogs near Seward, PA today and they managed to give him the slip again. A local man confirmed that they went past his house and he believes they were chasing a deer. Last spotted around 4:30 PM near where Charles road meets Route 403 (Cramer Pike). Two beagles, one wearing a red e-collar, one wearing a black e-collar. One is wearing a leather collar, the other a red collar. Both collars have contact information for my dad. Both dogs very friendly, will most likely come to anyone that is holding some food. We alerted the surrounding homes, but posting here in case anyone is in the woods in that area. A local club has a coyote tournament going on right now, so if anyone runs across them while hunting coyotes please let us know. It is also possible they were chasing a coyote. If anyone wants further info feel free to reply / PM me.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12 View Post
My dad was running his two dogs near Seward, PA today and they managed to give him the slip again. A local man confirmed that they went past his house and he believes they were chasing a deer. Last spotted around 4:30 PM near where Charles road meets Route 403 (Cramer Pike). Two beagles, one wearing a red e-collar, one wearing a black e-collar. One is wearing a leather collar, the other a red collar. Both collars have contact information for my dad. Both dogs very friendly, will most likely come to anyone that is holding some food. We alerted the surrounding homes, but posting here in case anyone is in the woods in that area. A local club has a coyote tournament going on right now, so if anyone runs across them while hunting coyotes please let us know. It is also possible they were chasing a coyote. If anyone wants further info feel free to reply / PM me.
Oh man. Not again. It happens.
Seriously, look into a used GPS collar ( you already have a Shock collar, so a Garmin 320 will be perfect , you can get them reconditioned at collar clinic.
Good luck
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 PM

Beagles are the most hard headed critter on the face of the earth. They got a mind of their own.Like I said last fall....they’ll turn up in a day or three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I think my dad is planning to get the GPS collars. Honestly right now they are just a bit out of my price range; I would love to have them but my dogs don't pull this when they aren't running with his dogs, so I usually don't have to worry about it. I will upgrade to GPS collars when I can; he needs to upgrade his ASAP...

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:58 PM
dap

You can get an Astro 220 for about $150 from Outdoor dog supply and DC 30 collars can be found in the $100-130 price range. A guy just listed both for sale in the classified here on HPA for $300. A reasonable price since it includes the accessories.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/29-...ng-system.html
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 AM

I just sold a nice, perfectly operating Astro 220 unit with a DC30 collar & a DC40 collar to a guy for his hounds for $265. Your dad needs to get gps and end this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Of course all of you are right. Even 1000$ seems like cheap insurance now. We found one of the dogs along the railroad tracks. She is alive but was hit, most likely by a train, and is in critical condition at our vet's office. She is under observation for the next 24 hours to decide whether she is going to make it or not. No sign of the other one; we are hoping that they were separated and she wasn't near the tracks as well. We walked several miles of the tracks near where she was found and no sign of the second dog. Mine will be getting GPS collars before they are able to hit the field again. Our hunting season is officially over

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12 View Post
Yeah I think my dad is planning to get the GPS collars. Honestly right now they are just a bit out of my price range; I would love to have them but my dogs don't pull this when they aren't running with his dogs, so I usually don't have to worry about it. I will upgrade to GPS collars when I can; he needs to upgrade his ASAP...
Glad to see somebody admit that something is out of their price range. Quick solutions while saving for collars could be, do not run with his dogs, and if the dogs are running trash break them. Back years ago we ran without GPS, and it was important to trash break dogs and today its easier with shockers. You may be a colledge student or have a young family, keep your priorities in line and get your collars when you can. Trash break the dogs and enjoy them. Good runnin.
CROW MASTER and blackpowder like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I guess it's one of those things that after last time, we didn't have any more problems and we became complacent on it. Figured the dogs had learned not to take off like this. But dogs are dogs and they do what they do I guess, and now we are paying for our complacency. Hopefully we will find the other one and the one we found will recover. Had I expected this to happen I would have definitely put more effort into trash breaking. Last time we assumed turkeys. Now I'm not so sure and am really starting to suspect they were chasing deer.

It's odd though; we jump deer all the time hunting rabbits and 99% of the time they don't chase deer. I find it hard to believe it was a deer, but the guy who saw the dogs chasing was so sure. I just don't know what to think. If it's coyotes I'm not sure how to break them. Coyotes really aren't readily available for avoidance training. If any of you are the praying type and don't mind praying for dogs... I would appreciate prayers for safe return of the one pup and recovery for the other. And for my dad, whose nerves have to be at their limit by now.
bigguy54 likes this.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:45 PM
The Man

Prayers sent psb, so sorry to hear about your pup. Hope she recovers and you find the other dog soon and well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page