Beagle clubs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Beagle clubs

So in my last thread someone mentioned that a beagle club is the best option to get a dog started. My dogs are not AKC registered, which makes it hard to get them into any local clubs (no one wants to take members with unregistered dogs around here.) I recently saw online the AKC Purebred Alternative Listing program. My dogs are full beagles, I just don't have papers on them. Does anyone out there know if getting a PAL number assigned to the dogs would qualify them for AKC events at beagle clubs? I appreciate any advice in this regard!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage

I can't help you there but you might try contacting a beagle club in your area and asking, if anyone would know they would. I am sure I have seen some beaglers post here.
SlickShot likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:26 AM

As Woods Walker mentioned, I would check with your nearest Beagle Club also.....I was a member of Franklin Twp. Beagle in Murrysville for a good many years. I was on the Board of Directors and was a judge at our club trials also.It was never our policy to have AKC registered beagle owners only, a beagle club is more than that, It was a place where you could take your hounds and run them at your own leisure and train them, cause there were plenty of rabbits on the grounds.

When we were looking to vote new members in ,we were also looking for members who were willing to help out around the club and make our work days or help out at some of our club trials and events, owning AKC Reg. beagles was not a priority with membership. Some members only trained there beagles to run in Field Trials, while others trained there dogs for hunting only.....I can`t help you with the PAL thing as I never herd of it. if your not looking to run trials and just hunt with them and keep them trained ,then I wouldn`t worry about the papers.....Good Luck and Good Rabbit Hunting, there`s nothing like the sound of a few hounds on a rabbit....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Last edited by SlickShot; 01-17-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I can't help you on the PAL number actually allowing your dogs to compete, you'd probably have to call AKC for that. If there are clubs in your area and they only accept members with AKC registered dogs just get a set of papers from someone and show them at the meeting, no one will ever know if the papers belong to your dog or not.

Free Madcatter!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

I actually know a trial judge from a local club and I had him ask. Sounds like they will accept the PAL registration for my beagle, but that has to get past the AKC first I guess. I don't really want to, well, 'lie' my way in. Then I'd constantly be on edge that someone would find out, etc, etc... I don't mind doing some work, but it doesn't seem like the clubs around here are willing to take in new members without papers. That seems odd to me, considering I know for a fact the club I am interested in joining is shrinking quite a bit due to lack of interest. Hounds are awesome, but the time and money it takes to raise / train / run them... well, it's time and cost prohibitive to many I'm sure. I run dogs for pleasure; I'm not a real competitive guy that way. But it seems like my only route in is to participate in the field trials, at least in this area.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-PA View Post
I can't help you on the PAL number actually allowing your dogs to compete, you'd probably have to call AKC for that. If there are clubs in your area and they only accept members with AKC registered dogs just get a set of papers from someone and show them at the meeting, no one will ever know if the papers belong to your dog or not.
My papers show my name as the owner. Not sure if it is the same on everyone's?

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12 View Post
I actually know a trial judge from a local club and I had him ask. Sounds like they will accept the PAL registration for my beagle, but that has to get past the AKC first I guess. I don't really want to, well, 'lie' my way in. Then I'd constantly be on edge that someone would find out, etc, etc... I don't mind doing some work, but it doesn't seem like the clubs around here are willing to take in new members without papers. That seems odd to me, considering I know for a fact the club I am interested in joining is shrinking quite a bit due to lack of interest. Hounds are awesome, but the time and money it takes to raise / train / run them... well, it's time and cost prohibitive to many I'm sure. I run dogs for pleasure; I'm not a real competitive guy that way. But it seems like my only route in is to participate in the field trials, at least in this area.
Not sure of the club's rules, but if they will accept a registered beagle, not necessarily AKC, you can register through ARHA or UKC by going to a breed inspector.

If you don't mind throwing some money at it, you could transfer a hound from a friend, get in and transfer it back later if the club only requires an AKC hound at the time of application.

Another option would be to find someone who has a hound on puppy papers who has no intention of registering, and registering it in your name, with their permission of course.

With the lack of participation in most beagle clubs these days, you would think a club would be happy to have an active member regardless of registration, but most clubs have bi laws written 50 years ago it seems.

Which club are you trying to join?

Lake Effect Beagles
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Contact AKC. They will give you the straight scoop, or try akc.org and see if you can find it yourself (on the PAL thing). As far as joining a club, some clubs have it in their bylaws that a prospective member must own, or HAVE THE INTENTION OF OWNING, an AKC registered beagle. That could get you by the AKC registered dog thing legally. As far as trialing goes with the dogs you currently have, once again, contact AKC. Did you get your beagles as pups? Were they out of AKC registered dogs? If yes to both questions, get in contact with the person you got the pups from and see if he still has the puppy papers. Depending on how old the dogs are, akc might still register them (for an inflated fee, of course). Now, what beagle clubs are near you?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2Catch View Post
My papers show my name as the owner. Not sure if it is the same on everyone's?
Of course they show your name as the owner but that's the great thing about the akc for $30 they'll put whatever name on the papers you want!

Free Madcatter!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-PA View Post
Of course they show your name as the owner but that's the great thing about the akc for $30 they'll put whatever name on the papers you want!
True. The AKC will do just about anything to make a buck. Just sent them $41.00 an hour ago to register my litter.

Lake Effect Beagles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in