New puppy - a bit of training advice! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

New puppy - a bit of training advice!

Hi fellow hound hunters! I just got a new 6 month old beagle pup on Tuesday, already started and running rabbits! She is a sweet little devil, extremely high energy and a good drive to hunt. I have a small problem though. I recently moved and our new house constantly has rabbits in the yard, which I would count as a plus if we didn't live in the city. My adult dog will sometimes chase them but I can call him off and he will come back. She, however, tried to rip my arm off to get after the rabbit and I'm not sure how to handle this.

I don't want to discourage her from following a hunting instinct; I want her to understand that rabbits are something for her to chase. But at the same time I don't want her to get out across a street or lost somewhere in the neighborhood because she took off after a rabbit, and I also will be keeping her indoors so I can't have her distracted every minute while outside (much harder to housebreak a distracted pup!) So, for the guys who keep dogs in the city, how do you handle rabbits in the yard, and specifically for the guys whose hounds live in the house (I know there are a few on here!) how do you handle outside potty training time? I have been taking her out about every hour, then if she shows signs of having to go taking her out as well. She has only had one accident in the house in two days, so I think we are doing pretty well so far. Puppy advice needed guys, thank you!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Re: New puppy - a bit of training advice!

I never had a beagle so don't have that problem. As far as distractions I would take her out on a leash by herself and if she gets distracted and won't potty its back into the house and crated. In another ten minutes try again.
Our youngest dog a golden retriever would never go if someone or another dog was outside.
After going in the crate once and having to sit in it for a few minutes until we noticed she caught on quickly.
As far as generally dealing with the rabbits I would use it as obedience training and do leash work in the yard knowing full well there is bunny scent.
I wouldn't tell her no if she gets excited by rabbits in the yard. Maybe come up with a command that you use when you don't want her on track. I heel my dog when we are out and can't have him running. Not sure what what everyone with beagles does in that case.
Anyway good luck and enjoy your new pup.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

What I am hoping will work is just teaching her to come off track when I call and then when I call her off them in the yard she won't chase. That's how my other dog is. When I call him, he comes. She is starting to get it. I did that this evening with a rabbit in the yard. She started running after it, and I called her name while using the juice on the collar. As soon as she turned back and came to me I let off. That's how I understand the collars work. You use the power, give the command and when the dog complies the juice comes off. That way they feel like they are doing something THEY wanna do instead of you forcing them to do something. I hope this works! She seems to be ok with the collar so I think it'll work out well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 PM
The Man

You should make the time to read this training guide, it might help you along with the rabbit chasing.
This is just one of many helpful articles available on the internet.

Traning Guide

"Always remember: You are not going to teach your dog
anything with an e-collar. You are only adding electronic
pressure to a skill your dog already knows and can
routinely perform. Also, do not use the e-collar to
correct responses in an area where your dog may have
not performed these skills until the training process is
finished."

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:09 PM

my two cents after keeping beagles for 25 years. As was stated, don't use the word no when it comes to rabbits. i came up with this word "heel" that i use . also, as far as the training collar, i personally wouldn't let my dogs know that i was the guy that was zapping them. that way i was the great one to console them when they came back to me from getting shocked. I'd even say aaww what happened? you have to stay the course and be persistent. Frankly if your pup didn't aggressively try to chase rabbits I'd be concerned so sounds like you have a good one.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Sage

If you live in the city the pup should not be off lead. When the pup is out it should be on leash and then it will make no difference if there is a rabbit or traffic or other hazard because you will be on the end of the lead that controls the pup.

If you leave the pup off lead and it goes after a rabbit in the city and you correct or call it off you are discouraging the hunt. There is no other way to look at it.

My suggestion keep the pup on lead in the city and take the pup very often to grounds where it is safe to hunt. off lead. Do this often enough and the pup will make the correlation that it is time to hunt/it is not time to hunt.

One other thing..I'd put the collar away until the pup well understands the commands you desire. IE come, down, heel what ever you want. Use the collar to reinforce learned behavior off lead.

wmu 3A
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

^^ Listen to Tom

Free Madcatter!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 AM

^ ^
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle
If you live in the city the pup should not be off lead. When the pup is out it should be on leash and then it will make no difference if there is a rabbit or traffic or other hazard because you will be on the end of the lead that controls the pup.
This is the advice I have decided to follow 100%. I definitely don't want to feel like I am discouraging her hunting instincts. Only problem is she practically rips my arm off to chase them lol! I have never really used the collar to train dogs before, always just to correct behaviors my dogs already knew. I hesitate to take her out without the e-collar because of off-game chases (deer; I really want to make sure this doesn't happen!), so what's the answer to that issue without using the collar, or should I have the collar on her when she hunts?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Sage

Ripping your arm off.... teach the pup to heel and not pull your arm off.

off game: I fully expect a young dog to want to chase off game (prey drive)... I don't evade deer I want to see them and want a pup to see them with me there..Have a lead on the dog or your e collar. I just use the word AHHHH to voice my displeasure with anything a pup does wrong... Anyway if pup looks to chase deer while on lead I give the ahhhh and tug the lead, if off lead use the e collar but also give the command to come, whoa, down what ever you use in your yard/obedience work. If the pup fails to heed (which they usually do ) use the e collar correction with enough stimulus to end the chase.

If I'm running off lead which is almost all the time the dogs have an e collar on.

wmu 3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page