Redbone owners ?'s - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Redbone owners ?'s

I had to put my lab down a year ago amd my daughter is asking for a dog. My wife wants a rat sized dog but I won't give in. I really like the redbones and have always wanted one. Can I have a red as a house dog/family pet and still coon hunt with it? I have never trained a coon hound but would like the dog to get to do what they are bred for. Can I coon hunt with just one hound? Will an invisible fence work for them? I live in SWPA and frequent the Erie area. Are there any good breeders between here and there or somewhere nearby? I may be willing to go with a walker also. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

-"of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy" --

William Sherwood Fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Redbone owners ?'s

I have a female running walker that runs yotes and lives in the house. she is one of the best house dogs I have ever had. most coon hounds are laid back and easy going from my experience. You can hunt coon with one dog. An invisible fence can work for any dog if trained properly.

LP GR RCH Coal Hill's Brush Buster.2014 ARHA PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Ma Ma Cass.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 01:12 PM

great dogs! I got a bluetick now,but had walkers and red bones before.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Anyone know where I can get a pup? Are they like beagles in the sense that they all don't turn out to be decent hounds? Am I better off buying a started dog if I want to ensure it hunts? Only problem with that is I want to socialize it well with my family and child. Also want it to be decent on the lead for my wife to walk.

-"of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy" --

William Sherwood Fox
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yes some are better than others and you can get culls. All you can do is try to stack the odds in your favor by researching pedigrees and breeders. Look for hounds and breeders that consistently produce good dogs. Go and see the sire and dam hunt. But it's still not a guaranty.

LP GR RCH Coal Hill's Brush Buster.2014 ARHA PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Ma Ma Cass.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 12:07 AM

Scott Perkey near West Newton is a redbone guy. He can help you. I don't have his number. Google his name you will find him.

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 12:17 AM

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread...adid=928434236 Found this on the UKC site. The owner of this pup is a good friend of mine. This pup will not last long on the market. He is about 120 miles away in Ohio.

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a pair of female plot hounds that live in the house. Great pets, calm in the house but like most dogs will let you know when you get company. As far as hunting they may be two of the best hounds I've ever hunted.

HUNTING PA CROW MASTER 2011 and 2012
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Regular Visitor

I have a 1 year old Blue Tick. Got him at around 8 months for my 16 year step daughter He was an out side dog kennel dog until we got him.Has only messed I the house a few times. And hasn't done it in a few months. Great inside dog... Sleeps with the Step daughter. But I have not been able to teach him "USE YOUR INSIDE VOICE" LOL... I have heard from a lot of houndsmen and women say that a inside dog will make a better hunting dog than an outside dog. Guess they create a tighter human bond with their owner.In the few months we have had him he has came along way in his performance running coon

Boyd Heaton
Clinton County Coonhounds
570-660-6167
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:31 AM

"But I have not been able to teach him "USE YOUR INSIDE VOICE" LOL.

Many years ago I had a GF who shared an Apt.(converted row home) with another girl here in Reading. The other girl got a redbone which she spoiled rotten(think lap dog ) That dog could ID her car and my truck(GF didn't drive) as soon as we parked out front and would start howling LOL(he would calm down after greeting you). Real nice dog just not for close quarters living. The other girl did move in with her BF to a country apt. in a couple of months.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page