Question on a problem with my 7 yr old pup - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Question on a problem with my 7 yr old pup

Hey guys, I plan to get my 7 year old male beagle to the vet this week to be looked at, but I wanted to see if any of you ever experienced this same problem and what the diagnosis was. What do you guys think could be ailing the poor little guy?

So the dog spent the night at my dads house on Saturday into Sunday. My dad took him for a walk, and ever since he came back home he will not jump on the furniture or take the stairs (if I force him to take stairs he will.) He also squeals if I try to pick him up around his belly, but he is fine being cradled like a lamb underneath his neck and back legs. He has not stopped eating or drinking and is otherwise a very energetic little pup. He is still playing normally and has his normal level of enthusiasm. I haven't had him out in the woods lately to know if he's running long distances well. The only other symptom I've noticed is, and my wife says she hasn't seen this one at all, is that once since he's back he has seemed to trip over his own back feet in the kitchen. He doesn't generally seem to be in any pain, and when I called the vet the first time they recommended aspirin and rest. I need to get him in for shots anyway so he is likely still going. Any ideas what could be causing this?

At first I was thinking Lyme disease, but the symptoms don't seem to fit. No joint swelling, no lymph node swelling, no pain at touch, no excessive heat in the joints. The only thing an internet search turned up that actually fits the symptoms was intervertebral disk disease, which is apparently common in beagles. Of course his would be the most mild case listed on the website since he isn't paralyzed or in any constant pain. I just worry about my poor pup, and I know there are guys on here much more experienced with beagles than I!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Question on a problem with my 7 yr old pup

Unless he hurt himself that you are unaware of....My guess is Lyme

I've seen multiple dogs have Lyme. None of them showed the normal symptoms. Most acted the way you listed
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My guess would be a minor back injury, give him a rimadyl and restrict his movement for a couple days. That means don't make him climb the stairs.

Free Madcatter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Part of the Community

My beagle had similar symptoms and tested negative for lymes.
She actually was wobbly, wouldn't jump, and the first day she just laid in bed and shook occasionally.
How she started was my husband went to pick her up and she yelped. That was it.

My husband and I got her when we started dating 7 years ago. She's a really special dog that's gone through a heck of a lot with our family so I opted to have them do x-Rays and stuff just to make sure it was only a pulled muscle.

She ended up coming out clean, was on a muscle relaxer and pain meds and within a day was back to her old self. I felt so blessed.

I know beagles are prone to back issues so I never let mind jump excessively and I always lift them on and off the tail gate.

Hopefully it's just a strain!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I guess I'll have to continue to carry his rear end everywhere Our backyard is down a fairly substantial flight of stairs so I'll be doing the lamb-carry on him I suppose. What, by the way, is rimadyl and where do I find it? Vet's office, online supplier? Sorry I don't know much about medications as far as pets are concerned! He is kenneled while we aren't home anyway, so maybe I'll just keep him in the kennel except during bathroom breaks. Does this mean he should move very little within the house as well? Like should I keep him in there overnight, even though he usually sleeps at the foot of the bed? Thank you for your answer, and sorry I decided to continue to impose on your helpfulness with more questions!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rimadyl is basically an aspirin for dogs and it is an anti inflammatory. It will take away some of the swelling that is likely pushing on a nerve, causing the wobbly back legs.

Free Madcatter!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

The vet did prescribe rimadyl today, but for a different reason. The dog had a few fleas about two weeks ago, and apparently he is very allergic. The vet says that most of the swelling in his back and legs was caused as an inflammatory reaction to the flea bites. I was given the Rimadyl and a new flea treatment to try. I still think he is not acting quite right, but hopefully this treats him and all is well. Thanks!!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

rimadyl always worked wonders for our older dogs with aches and pains. If there is inflammation, a day or two of that should definitely show some signs of improvement.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 06:45 AM

Is he still having normal bowel movements??? Sounds like he ate some thing hard!

WILLY P
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Nah he was having normal bowel movements and everything. He is actually better now. The vets gave him rimadyl and after a few weeks he is all better, acting like his normal self and no pain. I am guessing that he did something to his back, but he's doing well now and running bunnies again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page