Do your beagles trail pheasants? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Do your beagles trail pheasants?

The post on good breeding possibly helping a dog not to run trash got me thinking about pheasants. We don't run into too many pheasants anymore but I'm surprised my 2 dogs that still hunt (one is 16 and doesn't hunt anymore)will open up and run a pheasant. Happened once two seasons ago and twice this year. I wonder why they do that when they don't trail other birds like grouse or geese or run fox or deer. Do any of your beagles open up on pheasants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:27 AM

Re: Do your beagles trail pheasants?

Mine runs pheasants and grouse, and will sometimes tree squirrels. I don't consider anything I am going to shoot to be trash, so I generally let him do his thing unless he's chasing big game or something like skunks or porcupines.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 AM

Just one of our current 6 will.

John L

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Mine will open on rabbit, pheasant and grouse. They flush lots of woodcock, but have never opened on them.

Its only off game if I don't want to shoot it.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 03:11 PM

2 or 3 of mine run Grouse, Pheasant, and woodcock. They have opened on all of them, and they don't change their bark, so sometimes it's hard for me to tell what they are running.

I have no doubt they'd probably open on a turkey too. Probably the only reason they haven't is because generally, turkeys aren't where we are hunting for rabbits. Same goes with the goose thing.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Part of the Community

I have two that will really open on a pheasant and one that will usually change his bark when running them and barely bark. None of them will open on any other bird though for some reason. My one male would bark on woodcock as a puppy, but he wont bark at them anymore at all.

Contenderized!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM
JGR

All my beagles have always been trained to hunt rabbit, pheasant, and quail. They will also jump woodcock and grouse but I don't hunt them and they're not prevalent in my areas. Most of my dogs have vocalized differently on the species. Some only have 1 bawl and that's what you get. But most whimper-bawl on rabbits and howl-bawl on birds.

One day hunting GLs with 2 friends and my 1 bluetick we had taken a few birds. We were going to hit this last field and then the thicket before heading down to the swamp to see about some rabbits also. As soon as we hit the field the hound opened up as if on a pheasant. Knowing which way the birds were likely to flush I sent the 2 guys down to get ready. But the dog headed the other way. I called them back and reposted them. As I started through the U shaped thicket after my beagle I saw he was chasing 3 turkeys. I let the guys know and called off the hound with some persuasion (cussing and some running). That dog most have figured he found the grand pooba of pheasants.

JR
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One of ours will open on pheasants but you can tell almost instantly it's a bird and not a rabbit. His bark changes drastically when it's a pheasant. On rabbits he has a deep chop mouth but on birds it's a higher pitched squall.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 03:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

my female is the same way. on a pheasant she gets so high pitched she sounds like a different dog!
I always hoped she would take to runninggray fox as well, but so far she hasn't. Beagles can really do a great job on a gray! That will probably get me chastised by a lot of beagle guys, but hey, I run alone, and own fox/ coyote hounds too, but most have trouble with grays. Because they run tight, like a rabbit! So it wouldn't bother me a bit if she did! Lke was said above, its not trash if its something I want to hunt!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:16 PM

My pap's dogs apparently ran grey fox all the time. That was one thing my dad always said about it. The foxes ran tight, like a rabbit but sometimes even more tight than that. They apparently used to do really well for foxes on those dogs.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page