What can you breed into a hound. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

What can you breed into a hound.

The question comes about because I read the link Timberdoodle posted about the Gay hounds and the gentleman that bred them. In the article it hinted that one could breed a trash broke hound. Does anyone think this is possible and if you ever had one how did it stack up against those hounds you had to teach what not to chase as well as what to chase?

Speaking of coon hounds from my youth we never had a good hound that did not trash until trained not to chase trash. Those that never trashed never made the grade.
With my brother's rabbit hounds beagles and bassets he always had to brake them from trash. My lone beagle/basset was a heck of a rabbit and hare hound but it took some doing to stop him from deer and fox. I was away a lot and had little time with him when young so the bad habits took longer than most to completly brake. After he was three I never seen him run a deer or any off game except a few pheasants which I ignored because he would not open. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Sage

Re: What can you breed into a hound.

Some are naturally trash proof. But I wouldn't bet the ranch on whole litters after litters being trash proof.

I don't mind working with a dog... I expect they'll all make some mistakes from time to time.

wmu 3A
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:56 AM

IMO, breeding a trash proof Hound is pure [censored]. It's a dog bred to run scent and we pick the scent we want it to run.

If the juice doesn't "break" them, they may not have too much upstairs though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM

One of my littermate females would run a deer pretty hard. Two treatments of dc therapy cured that. The other one would start blowing a hole in the ground when she smelled one. I would grab her by the collar and give her a firm "NO!". After a half a dozen times, she quit, without ever using the e-collar.

Now I run them both right over a freshly jumped deer, with absolutely no reaction. I put both of them on two Fox this past season with no reaction whatsoever, even though they have never been shocked or reprimanded for running one.

I had one in the late 90's that I would run down and punish when he ran a deer (no e-collar). I was never able To break him from deer.

So whether or not you can breed out trash running, I don't know. Just like kids, I think they are all different.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:02 PM

I really don't know if there is a line that is all naturally trash free but there are individuals who are but there are lines that are more easily broke or are just more easily trained or controlled. I am not like most people. I would rather have a dog that is no trouble even if it isn't top notch than one who is a great hunter but you end up hunting the dog. The Gay dog I had I was lucky and he was great on both ends.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
IMO, breeding a trash proof Hound is pure [censored]. It's a dog bred to run scent and we pick the scent we want it to run.
This is my way of thinking. Waugh!

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Some are naturally trash proof.
How is that possible? Waugh!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
...but there are lines that are more easily broke or are just more easily trained or controlled....
I could understand this and agree with this part and only this part. I still can't understand how any could be born trash free.

Quote:
I would rather have a dog that is no trouble even if it isn't top notch than one who is a great hunter but you end up hunting the dog.
Don't know if I agree. I can live with a hound that is not the best of the best or even better than the next guys as long as he hunts good enough for me.

If you need to hunt your dog because of trash I feel you need to train it better.

If you need to hunt your dog because it is hunting what you want and you don't want that dog please send me a PM. I will be right over to pick him up. Waugh!

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

To answer the question of how can a hound be naturally trash proof? I've had 3 beagles all from the same blood that were all naturally trash proof (2 of them are dead and 1 is 12 yrs old and retired) none of them ever offered to run anything but a rabbit. I can't explain it but I've seen several others from the same line that were the same way.

Free Madcatter!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

"Gamey" hounds are bred to do just that, chase game. I have to agree with someone who said we train them to chase the game we want them to chase. If you want a deer hound, train them on deer, correct em on everything else. If you want a rabbit hound or a coyote and fox hound, same thing, train them on what you want them to chase, correct them on everything else. Never trust a young hound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page