Dog food - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Dog food

What feed are you guys giving your hounds? I'm trying to find the best both economically and for the dogs. For the guys that feed the "higher end" brands, how much feed do you give them a day, I'm asking hounds that are run several days a week, both coonhounds and beagles. Just trying to see what you guys are using.

When the tailgate drops, the -- stops...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 PM

Re: Dog food

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 AM

I use 4health from tractor supply.i self feed, he eats when he wants and as much as he wants. I fill it about once a month.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Feeding Pro Plan shredded blend here. Have been for about 3 years now. With the sales that petsmart/petco run, plus the pro club dog food checks, you can't beat the price.

Don't believe anything on those websites. Some dogs do good on the high end stuff, some dogs don't. Find what maintains your dog and stay on it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm a firm believer in feeding the best food that one can afford. The higher end, nutrient dense kibbles can come with some initial sticker $ shock but because they are so nutrient dense you often feed less per feeding and get better results. For hardworking dogs like your hounds I think you want a kibble with a high protein/fat ratio. Something around a 30/20 or more.

My 70lb male Drahthaar gets fed Dr. Tim's brand Pursuit formula kibble which is 30/20. I feed 3-3.5 sometimes up to 4 measured cups per day. In the summer he'll typically eat only 3 cups, sometimes less per day. I get a 44lb bag for $66.99 delivered to my front door every 7 weeks from Petflow. My dog is always in prime condition and does fantastic on this food. Small company, made in USA and made in small batches. Look up their website for more info. Personally I don't like corn in my dog's kibble so that's the reason I switched off Pro Plan.

I have a friend that feeds his entire kennel of working Braque Francais' on Diamond brand kibble. It's a good food and more economical than what I feed. Its had a few recalls over the years which is the reason I stay away but I know many guys that are satisfied with it and their dogs do well.

I think most guys in my NAVHDA chapter feed one version of Pro Plan or another. They also get the "pro club" price or checks too and save that way.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sportsmen's pride good food at an affordable price. Been feeding it for 11 yrs. You have to study ingredients.

LP GR RCH Coal Hill's Brush Buster.2014 ARHA PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Ma Ma Cass.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Part of the Community

+1 for Dr.Tims Pursuit. Native 3 is also very good.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 PM

Pride

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have fed what seems like a million kinds of feed. Part of what determins what I feed is where I can get it. Some places I just like handing my money too more than others. Probably my favorite feed I ever fed was hi-standard 30/20. Bought 8 bags of it and loved it, then it became unavailable. Since then after a lot of looking around the place I like to buy from started carrying the Extreme Athlete from Diamond and I have settled on it. Bottom line is I like the ingredients and the 4700 kcal per kg is the most I have seen. Feed adult dogs 3 cups a day. These are plott coonhounds. I only have 2 dogs so the price is not that much to worry about.

The fun is over once you pull the trigger
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the
info...so where do most of you guys buy your feed from?

When the tailgate drops, the -- stops...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page