What beagle pet owners seem to think of us? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

What beagle pet owners seem to think of us?

Guys, I have to say I am more than a little disturbed about this. My wife belongs to a facebook page called Beagles and More Beagles. Cutest dogs you ever want to see, mostly house pet dogs. There are a few hunters on there, but for the most part this is how people view anyone that owns a hunting dog. They think that we all abuse our dogs. They also seem to think that we all secretly care as much about our dogs as we would a hammer or a wood clamp, only using them as tools to get a job done. Accusations abound about hunting dog breeders torturing beagles and making them live in terrible conditions, almost worse than what is heard about dog fight arenas. I have read on this site where most of these people think we are just willing to abandon our dogs in the woods, and when a dog is nearing the end of it's life, it is either a slow torturous end by starvation / dehydration or a quick round to the head. I certainly know people who don't care for their dogs, but is this really how we are seen in the dog owning community as a whole? The board actually states (I'm paraphrasing a bit) that if you are a hunter you may as well not post on their page because they don't like our kind. Am I missing something? Are there really that many hunters out there who do this to their dogs? Do I have any idea what community I am in? Or, like so many other stereotypes, are there just a few bad people in our sport making it difficult for the rest of us to present a good face to the world? I love my beagles, and honestly a good day's chase is a great way to exercise them and fulfill their desire to hunt. Is that really such a bad thing, or am I missing something? Sorry about the rant, just looking for some opinions from the crowd.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Part of the Community

Re: What beagle pet owners seem to think of us?

Pet Parents and Pet Owners... It's a huge gap.

I have two beagles and a lab. They all hunt. I love them dearly, they do live inside (they have kennels outside if it's nice) two are crated when unsupervised... One beagle, my 6yo, earned full house privileges.

My dogs are more to me than tools but they are NOT my children. I will go very far to keep them healthy and happy but I will and have drawn the line.

I'm sure their are abusive people but more often than not if someone saw my dog dripping from her ears in blood after a great hunt they would freak. They would see the horrible hunter I am, not the thousands of dollars I forked away the one time she was I'll, or when she had lymes, or that time she broke her toe. They would not see me crying over my near dead dog that time I gave her advantix (she had an allergic reaction to it) and it almost killed her, or me cooking her up venison burger and rice till she was better....

Point being people do and will always see what they want to see. You'll never change that. I just keep an open mind through life and learn about why others do what they do as much as I can without relying on one or two sources.

People do a lot of things I don't agree with. It doesn't make them wrong, or bad people... I won't judge another person until I can walk a mile in their shoes.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:31 PM
JGR

Sounds like a page of idjits to me. Probably San Fran variety. Some folks are just clueless and want to remain that way. Sorry but anyone who doesn't let their beagle work its nose as years of breeding evolution was intended, and are willing to deny them of the chase, is just robbing the dog of its greatest joy. And in my opinion are horrible people.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Part of the Community

And when the day comes when I am no longer aware of my surroundings, cannot move on my own, and I'm peeing all over myself go ahead and take me out and shoot me... I won't mind one bit
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Well and that's another thing. I mean, honestly I don't think I could do it, but a quick bullet has to be every bit as humane as a vet putting them to sleep. The thing that irritates me is that these people have the nerve to act like I'M an idiot because I take the dog and allow him to do what he (very clearly) loves. That was another thing they said. That the dogs are FORCED to hunt. Has any of you ever forced your beagle to hunt? Ridiculous I say... At any rate, I think people who form a working relationship have a strong bond to their dogs. It's like saying that seeing eye dogs are abused. Seriously, they are used for their intended purpose. And I am sure those people love their dogs as well.

It's just irritating because these are the people that use their voice to influence the way our world looks at our sport. Whether we consider it mere intolerance or not, it is seriously a danger to have these people thinking about us this way. The way most of them talk, dogs shouldn't be allowed to chase any animals at all for any reason. Aren't good hunting bloodlines in danger of dying out anyway? Fewer people already enjoy the sport. How long until their opinion loses us the opportunity to go afield with our pups? Just makes me worry, that's all...

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:58 PM

I know more beaglers than not that treat their dogs very well, but if they don't make the grade, they don't stick around. So I agree with what you are saying, a lot of people don't understand hunting with dogs, but don't be blind to the fact that a lot of guys have dogs and think of them as a hammer or a shotgun, a means of getting a job done. Doesn't make them bad pet owners or abusive, or even wrong.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think you worry too much, just enjoy your dogs and don't let the opinion of others affect the enjoyment you get out of the dogs. There are always going to be people who disagree with what someone else does or says, it's life.

Free Madcatter!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is such a wide range of owners on both sides of this it's not even funny. On their side of the fence they have pet owners which is pretty much your standard dog owner and then you have your "pet parents". I find these to be mostly women who treat their dogs as their "fur babies", think they have more rights than most people and allow their dogs to own them. These are typically the whack jobs you see on these forums. On our side you have a good portion of beagle owners who love their dogs, take very good care of them, treat them as a pet and not a tool and fall into pretty much the same category as your standard pet owner. Unfortunately, we also have (and I have seen) your beaglers who are like they describe. The dog is nothing more than a tool to them. If it doesn't hunt it gets a bullet no matter how much the dog tries to please you in other ways. They spend 90 percent of their life in a 10 foot square pen and get traded around and bred to death so everyone can add to their bloodline. From what I have seen it's the fur baby nut jobs who hate the extremest beaglers. I would say that most standard pet owners don't have a major issue with your standard beagler. Unfortunately when you go to a forum where most members talk about being owned by their fur babies you should probably expect that their elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Part of the Community

One way I used to look at it when I was growing up is like this; my animals are not tools, or family members. They serve a purpose in my life.

They are my employees, I am their boss. Sometimes you need to fire an employee just because they don't really fit into "your team"... However this employee might be someone else's employee of the month somewhere else! My employees get food, housing, and medical expenses paid... Try finding that in a job!

Sometimes they might not feel 100% into the work they are asked to do on a given day, that's natural. No person or animal is perfect, they are living beings with brains. However they still have to do it, it's their job.

Anyways... This is how I plan to explain it to my son as he grows up...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Sage

Understand the source - USHS and Peta have peddled this theme for years.

A few years ago, in I think South Carolina, an effort was on the ballot to out law deer hunting with dogs. This hunter abuse, lack of care, and "thought" propaganda was very prevalent in that election.

You have to understand, in many school districts curriculum from or designed by the anti hunting / animal rights people is taught as fact. It starts with our young. It just intensifies the more heavily packed the urbanites seem to get and the further they get from their food origins.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page