Beagle stud options? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Beagle stud options?

At the risk of getting flamed for asking this...

I'm looking at possibly, maybe, breeding a [censored] I have. I have no idea when (depends really on when she comes into season next) but I'm starting to look around at studs.

Yes, I do have some ideas in mind but I do not trial or hunt with anyone "In the know" and I want to make sure I try to find the best possible match for her that I can... I know a lot of people pimp their dogs out on every site available and many really good dogs just go unadvertised aside from word of mouth. I just want some ideas.

She is a young dog yet. Welped July 2, 2012. The reason I am looking to breed her sooner rather than later is pretty simple... I want another dog or two and right now I am not working so I have unlimited time.
I do like her a lot, she hunts the way I like and she is wonderful in the house, with my 18 month old son, my two other dogs... and so forth. Basically she has a great attitude towards working and around the house.

I do not trial but I like a good dog with a strong pedigree, good no-quit attitude, that will put rabbits in the bag.
I should say I am not into trialing now. Who knows what the future will hold and with having a young son I want to keep good hounds around for him to grow with. Eventually I can totally see my husband and son getting into it.

The one thing negative about her is she took a long time to really open up on a rabbit. Last hunting season she ran rabbits well but was pretty much silent. Ive been running her occasionally and shes actually starting to open up better.

I would like an under 13" dog however I am not dead set on this. If the dog is over I'd still look... however I don't want anything really huge and leggy. The smaller the better. She is under 13" herself.

Don't really care about color or anything...

I've done some research but I know others will know what crosses with what best and so on... Like I said I'm looking for some other ideas!

Oh, I'm opened to traveling for the right stud. Like I said I am continuing my research and learning what I can HOWEVER I must admit this is my first time breeding ANY dog of my own so a stud owner that is open to helping me out any way possible would be a huge blessing.

Anyways Thank you for any suggestions you all can offer... Here is her pedigree and a photo of her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Re: Beagle stud options?

PM sent

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You need to decide what side of that pedigree you would want to line breed on. Me personally it would be prop, the more prop the better in my book. I already know rabbit runner wants you to go with the ranger dan side, probably jet. That wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Whatever you do, watch some studs run and see if they are what you like. It will save a big headache in the future. You don't want to breed to a dog based on pedigree alone, you should try to breed to a male that is strong where your female is weak. Like you said with the mouth, make sure you use a stud that gives proper mouth, not a tight mouthed dog or you are doubling your odds of getting tight mouthed pups.

Free Madcatter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oh, my pick would be IFC Beaver River Jonathan's Jack.

Free Madcatter!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you!

Im going to take her to run with someone who has been at this a while longer and hopefully they can help me look at her and give me an honest opinion of what I have and what I should look to build on and things I might want to avoid. I think this might be my best bet to help me get started when I go to watch dogs run and talk to stud owners.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Alot of branko, I would look for branko stud, go watch it run, also if posdible watch its offspring run!!. One of my better meat hounds was branko with little northway, great
rabbit dogs, a little to loose and wide in check area, but they where rabbit crazy. I run a little more consertive dogs now, dtill push rabbit but more control,less breakdowns. Good luck with breeding
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What about Pinnacle Hill Sport? He seems to be throwing some really nice dogs from what I've been reading and he has Branko.blue ninja blood which I love in dogs. I like topfuel chester as well but they are both taller males although I don't see too many under 13" most places. If you go with the ranger dan side I'd look hard at Lt. dan crazy. He's a direct son of Ranger Dan and to be honest I don't know of many other direct sons still living. That would be a nice looking pedigree.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM
New Arrival

I think chester is great idea that's a really good dog with really good breeding I wouldn't recommend doubling up on the ranger dan that's just my opinion that's I nice bred female you have lots of nice bred males out there for you to choose from

Free madcatter
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 PM

The only problem with the Sport/Chester etc, they aren't even close to a 13 inch dog. As Marissa puts it, "they are really huge and leggy".

My female stands 14 3/4 every day...he made her look small. Like said though, plenty of smaller branko males out there to pick from.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks everyone, I'm writing all these dogs and suggestions down and slowly I hope to get around to watching a few dogs roll.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page