Pup or started beagle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Pup or started beagle

New to the beagle world although I have hunted behind them. Would I be better to pick up a started dog maybe a year or 2 old or to find a pup? Everyone loves puppies but for my first one I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a started dog. Thanks

It's not luck if success is consistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 PM
JGR

Re: Pup or started beagle

If you like being aggravated go with the pup. If not go with the started pup. Beagles are hard headed. For those of us who have done it enough we can over come as part of the training. But for a novice you will have plenty enough aggravation just training yourself to understand beaglese. After you figure out you're training, training the dogs are easy... although there will still be days. But there isn't many things on this earth as good as a good day hunting with beagles.

JR
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Part of the Community

I would go with a pup and both of you can grow together in the training process. Don't worry too much on teaching it to run bunnies, that part is bred into them, teach it to listen and don't be afraid to let it play. Get it to know you first and the rest will fall into place. Patience has it's rewards with beagles. I personally can't see too many people getting rid of 1 or 2 year old beagles if they're good dogs, but if the price is right anything could be for sale. JGR...."beaglese", lol, I like that but how true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 AM

I agree with pup. Just showing them rabbits gets them started, and eventually they learn to use their nose to locate the rabbit after it disappears. With a young dog the worst part will be obedience and, if the dog will be indoors, house training. All depends on the dog you get as well. I have had dogs that would come back the instant you started calling them, I have had dogs that refused to leave a track no matter how hard you yelled. Good woods manners are important. But having a puppy means they will grow in experience as you do. I grew up with rabbit dogs, but my first beagle of my own was not only a great way to learn new things but also an enormous success and a huge feeling of accomplishment. It is probably easier to find a pup as well. Remember one thing that I have found about beagles, and maybe someone else will counter this advice: the more you are around them and handle them as a pup, the better they will listen to you. Beagles are very social dogs so you should be prepared to play and entertain every day of the dog's life

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

all good advise from everyone above. I'm a pup guy. but, my dog is also a big part of the family and I spend a lot of time with her, as with all before her. if going with a pup, you have to put in the time, a lot of time. it will pay off big time in the end. as stated above, manners are a must and they are hard headed, but its just a time thing. some days its an hour or two or maybe just 5 minutes. good luck.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 PM

Find a pup from a good bloodline.

Never Misses
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler
Find a pup from a good bloodline.
I second that.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thank you everyone. Now for my next question can anyone help me out on a bloodline specifically the Blackcreek beagles bloodline? A member on here says he has some just wondering if anybody had any experience thanks guys!

It's not luck if success is consistent.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My advice would be to go watch a few different "styles" of dogs run before making any decisions. Everyone likes something different in their hounds. You'll have to decide what you like in a dog before you can begin to narrow down your search to a particular bloodline.

Free Madcatter!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 PM

I have to back up PSYCHOBEAGLE 12,on handeling these as pups.I bred a few in my day and my children loved playing with them! None of my dogs were ever shy nor hard headed.Puppies are like children,the more time you spend with them the more they love you and listen?

WILLY P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page