Roadhunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Roadhunting

Does anybody know if it is legal to road hunt a coonhound in Pa during this time of the year or any time the kill season is out during training season? Can't really find anything out in the book about this specifically. Thanks for any help.

When the tailgate drops, the -- stops...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Re: Roadhunting

not legal to road a dog here.. BUT, if a guy had a wire cage in the bed of his truck and his hound just happens to strike a track from there ??? Can't control whats floating in the air and hits a dog right in the nose !!!

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was going to ask what you meant by "road hunt"? If you mean to "rig" a dog, it is illegal. I don't know if there would be any problem with dropping a dog on a coon that you see while driving down a back road though.

Free Madcatter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 AM

"roading" means rigging from the truck bed or putting them in front of the truck while you drive 5-8 mph and they run on the road looking for a track in front. They do that alot in Ohio. I've been out there while guys do it, it sure is different. WV it is done alot in those wild mountains..

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Wayne, I wasn't sure what he meant.

Free Madcatter!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yes, I'm talking about putting hound on the road out in front of the truck and driving behind it, 10 mph or so depending on the dog. The hound I have now don't know if it will rig, (stike off the truck box), but I have a cap on my truck so don't really try that much. I was talking about having the dog run in front of the truck till it hits a hot trail where a coon ran across the road. I can't really see what would be wrong with that this time of year, I'm not pursuing game to kill obviously, just looking for hot tracks to put my walker on. Feeders help with getting hot tracks but bears keep tearing them up, so looking for other options for this younger hound. Wayne, do you know anybody selling any pup trainers? I have a 2 yo walker that tracks well but hasn't completely figured out treeing yet, I prefer blue dogs really, but open to anything, if you happen to know of someone that has an older broke dog let me know, thanks.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 PM

several on the UKC board, no one parting with any money it seems. Then again alot of guys won't buy a dog until almost kill season and expect it to be a world beater.. No roading in Pa. anytime, PGC is so backward and boneheaded when it comes to hounds and hunting, they make me sick....

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Are you talking the dog is loose and running down the road and you're following it in the truck? Or a box on the front bumper with the dog in it till it opens??

If the dog is loose...is it illegal to follow via truck? ATV? Off road golf cart thing? The dog is still doing the hunting...the hunter is just being lazy and driving around...illegal? I don't know..

Is it illegal for me to be lazy and cut myndog loose and know its a lot less walking to drive to the next road to get closer to the tree?? I don't know...

I understand true rigging with rigging boxes in the front/rear etc is illegal...but your basically driving your dog around till it finds a track...

I doubt its legal to turn a dog loose on game you saw from the truck...that'd be road hunting for sure I'd imagine...

How many guys in deer and bear season on quads and off road golf carts have loaded guns?

I will be out with my walker tonight...I will turn him loose in a creek bottom and listen to the chase!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Wow mauser, your pretty tough....guess i am just lazy, although road hunting a coonhound is pretty popular in lots of other places, in some states that's about the only way people coon hunt, yes the dog will run in front of the truck while your driving, I guess dropping a coonhound or beagles in an area and sitting on the tailgate and listening to the music is lazy too, sorry bud, laziness has nothing to do with it, I'm not using a vehichle to hunt out of, or kill anything, just getting my hound some exercise and listening to a chase, nothing gets hurt (except for the occasional possum..dang dog anyhow) and my dog and I have some fun. In kill season I walk my dog in the woods if I choose to shoot a coon out that night, which often I don't, just like to run 'em and listen to the music and see a coon. I was just asking a legal question about hunting laws. Enjoy your hunt and be safe.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 AM

You took my sarcasm wrong!! Hard to read read it through the text! Sorry!

Wasn't calling you lazy and was really asking unanswered questions that can seem pretty gray and fuzy depending on how the laws are read and who reads them....

I been running coon dogs most my life...I ain't foolish enough to walk through a block of woods when I can drive to the other side of it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page