Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Bear and Elk Hunting Forum

Page 25 of 40 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39 40 >
Topic Options
#3127650 - Wed Sep 25 2013 09:26 PM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: jakesroost]
croz2173 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: ANF
I've got it!!! Lets keep the governors tag going, but next year make it a mountain lion tag! Valid for the entire license year of course, shooting from the vehicle, spotlighting, and baiting would be legal. We could bring in ten times the money!

#3127689 - Wed Sep 25 2013 09:58 PM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: jakesroost]
Buckshot1822 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Clearfield County (2g)
What I have learned from this thread......

1. People are jealous because this guy has enough money to spend 40k on a tag

2. Most of these people are upset simply because they have never drawn a tag, and someone well to do can just buy one....

3. People seriously over estimate the sport of hunting Elk in PA

The thing that gets me is this: There are worse "poachers" in pretty much every town in Pa, than this guy, and people aren't all up in arms (at least not to this effect) about those guys out hunting deer, etc..........

I don't care what anyone tells you, most of these elk are pretty tame, there are some exceptions, but most of them are relatively tame, and aren't really afraid of people.......I spend more time in the elk range, and around the elk than probably 95% of the people on here.........

This thread is just full of people who are really upset that, this guy can go and buy a tag for 40k, when they have been applying for 10+ years or whatever it is..........most of the people are using the "poaching" thing as a farce to attack the guy.........

PS......I couldn't care less what the guy did/did not do, I couldn't care less who draws an elk tag........I don't know the guy, nor care to own him........

Bottom line is, hunting elk in PA is nothing like hunting true blue wild elk, and never will be.......

#3127721 - Wed Sep 25 2013 11:00 PM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: Buckshot1822]
deucebump Offline
veteran

Loc: Corry, Pa
Bottom line is, hunting elk in PA is nothing like hunting true blue wild elk, and never will be.......

I have been following this since the very first post and have not posted a thing yet. The above comment is the best sentence I have read yet!

And just to put my opinion out there.... I don't believe a guy that has paid his debt to society should never be allowed to hunt again, BUT I do believe they should not be allowed to purchase any Goverors tags anywhere. They undoubtably, like it or not, become the face of said states Elk hunt. Just as this guy now is the face of PA elk hunting. Black eye for the sportsman of this state. The ONLY reason he buys Gov tags to kill monster elk is to have his name in whatever books he can get them in. It IS NOT for the big antlers. He could easily spend the same money or less and shoot a MUCH bigger bull on a high fence hunt if he simply wanted big antlers, and he is obviously not concerned about being a sportsman or "fair chase" hunting. It's simply an ego boost to him to have his name in a book.

Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Zink Calls Pro Staff

#3127864 - Thu Sep 26 2013 08:30 AM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: Buckshot1822]
Andy Purnell Offline
veteran

Loc: Pine Glen PA
Originally Posted By: Buckshot1822

2. Most of these people are upset simply because they have never drawn a tag, and someone well to do can just buy one....

The thing that gets me is this: There are worse "poachers" in pretty much every town in Pa, than this guy, and people aren't all up in arms (at least not to this effect) about those guys out hunting deer, etc..........

I don't care what anyone tells you, most of these elk are pretty tame, there are some exceptions, but most of them are relatively tame, and aren't really afraid of people.......I spend more time in the elk range, and around the elk than probably 95% of the people on here.........

This thread is just full of people who are really upset that, this guy can go and buy a tag for 40k, when they have been applying for 10+ years or whatever it is..........most of the people are using the "poaching" thing as a farce to attack the guy.........

PS......I couldn't care less what the guy did/did not do, I couldn't care less who draws an elk tag........I don't know the guy, nor care to own him........

clever

#3127873 - Thu Sep 26 2013 08:40 AM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: jakesroost]
blitzinstripes Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: SC PA
Well, what is right and ethical isn't always what is legal or illegal. This situation stinks. It has nothing to do with the money. It's that such a great trophy and moment that should have been a celebration for the entire state hunting community, the crowning of a new state record and a world class animal will forever be tainted. If this guy has a shred of dignity at this point, I hope that he will either donate the head to the PGC and keep his name removed from it in public display, or keep it private and never attempt to have it certified as the state record or entered in any book. He has to have heard the news by now that he has recently surpassed Gary Alt as most popular man in PA. If he has any respect for the hunting community, don't submit this for our record.

#3127881 - Thu Sep 26 2013 08:49 AM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: jakesroost]
dce Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: dubois
I read all that before but still can't find specifically what he did.

#3127882 - Thu Sep 26 2013 08:49 AM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: Buckshot1822]
camohunter7 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Armstrong /Cameron counties,Pa
Originally Posted By: Buckshot1822

I think the majority of the stink from the whole situation is from an ethical hunting position.
No technically he did nothing illegal here in pa.
It's more of a fact that a person with his history is now a big ugly eye sore for the state . (Notice how the PGC has not published anything on this )
From the time you fist start to hunt , you are taught about ethics , to do the right thing , how to respect the game you chase .
Poaching is one of the most egregious acts to be done in the hunting community,for a convicted poacher to have his fingerprints all over one of the crown jewels of this state ,just stinks .

#3127892 - Thu Sep 26 2013 08:56 AM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: jakesroost]
blitzinstripes Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: SC PA
And anyone who hunts by the rules and teaches young hunters the same, should take this insult personally.

#3127894 - Thu Sep 26 2013 08:58 AM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: jakesroost]
dce Offline
Stopped counting

I still can't find anything specific on what he did regarding the airplane.It appears most of the charges went to the guide and he got pinched for lying on his behalf.I'm not defending him because obviously he did something.I just haven't found anything that points to him as a blatent poacher.

#3127904 - Thu Sep 26 2013 09:06 AM Re: OkNew state record typical elk? [Re: jakesroost]
dce Offline
Stopped counting

I've hunted elk out west and I live near the Pa herd.There's places out west where elk routinnly graze in people's yards just like they do in Bennezette.However,we have some very wild,remote terrain in the elk country where the elk are far from tame and would be challenging to hunt.A high percentage of elk out west are sniped as they come out into a meadow just like they are in Pa.

My kids and I camped with our horses just outside of Bennezette the second weekend of Sept.We rode 20-30 miles a day for 2 days and only saw one elk and he bailed as soon as he saw us.There was sign and tracks all over the place but the elk didn't show themselves.Of course we were on the other side of the river.It depends on what unit you draw as to whether a Pa elk hunt will be a slam dunk.I have elk within a couple miles of my house.You see them come out into the fields but I've never actually seen one in the woods and I SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE WOODS WHERE THEY'RE AT.

Page 25 of 40 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39 40 >

Moderator:  treestand91 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
75 registered (archeryman32, artsdouble, Ackleyredmist, Bearclaw, 2 the point, 5 invisible), 333 Guests and 199 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
cz550, RuffsNSetters, JMackanick, vern faulkver, Spencer12345
33089 Registered Users
Recent Posts
The last letter game
by Bearclaw
Hounds and Bears
by RuffsNSetters
Trail Camera
by REDLAB
Pennsylvania Game Lands - Pics and Talk
by Cody Arner
Dixon's (32nd) Gunmaker's (Muzzleloader) Fair
by M.D.H. Flintlock
06:03 AM
deer carrier
by basdjs
04:27 AM
Jefferson Airplane
by atr
02:10 AM
New Topics
Jefferson Airplane
by atr
Today at 02:10 AM
Maps ?
by HammerDown15
Yesterday at 11:02 PM
Surf fishing rod and reel
by Tuckerman
Yesterday at 10:35 PM
Cable restraint class
by RMWII
Yesterday at 06:45 PM
Commonwealth attorneys negotiate settlement to...
by casey
Yesterday at 06:38 PM
Didn't see a lot of deer??
by timberdoodle
Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Hounds and Bears
by RuffsNSetters
Yesterday at 06:16 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 34851
RonM 28353
RB-HPA 27726