Outdoor Community

Trout Fishing Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3120500 - Tue Sep 17 2013 06:54 PM Taming The Beast
FrankTroutAngler Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Blair County
On Saturday morning, September 14th, I had pretty much resolved myself into thinking there was no way I was going to extend my streak of 56 consecutive outings of 100 trout or more. The last time I had caught under 100 trout was on April 14th. It has been a great year, but with no noticeable amount of rain since the prior weekend, my expectations were low.

At daybreak I began on a section of a small stream that I had already fished too often this summer.

In places the stream looked like it was decorated for Christmas, but I held off the urge to hum Christmas songs to myself.

A great blue heron was seen moving ahead of me, and not many trout were out feeding and willing to hit my White Bead Gold spinner. But a few were landed.

Then I came to one of the better pools that may or may not have been this one.

I whiffed on a small wild brown at the lower end of the pool. Then I flipped a cast to a deeper spot along some undercut roots. Instantly I felt that oh-so-familiar light tap of a large trout. I set the hook automatically with a quick snap of my wrist. Immediately I saw the large wild brown and knew I was going to have to take a risk to keep him out of the roots. I held firm, my drag set as tight as it goes, knowing that I had just re-tied my spinner to fresh monofilament moments earlier. As I brought him in I knew he wasn't just a hawg, but a beast!

It took about a minute to subdue the monster. Since I don't carry a net except for when I might want to take some photos of trout in a net, I reached down with my hand to land the small-stream beast.

Look how small my spinner is in his hook-jawed mouth.

At 24" in length (measured against the inch-markers on my rod), he was the biggest trout I had caught since 2003 -- and that was over 100,000 trout ago.

After releasing him and watching him cruise back to the undercut roots, the action died. I fished two more places for the day and ended up with 54 trout in 5.75 hours. My streak was over but I got a nice consolation prize.

A chilly 41-degree air temperature convinced me to wear a thick chamois shirt and a sweatshirt under my camouflage on Sunday morning, September 15th.

I didn't take a lot of photos on this day, but once in a while a trout seemed photo-worthy.

This rainbow had an unusual spot pattern.

Some wild browns were landed...

...as well as a few rainbows.

When I hung up my rod for the day after 8.25 hours my little notebook showed 111 trout had been caught and released on this fine day. As I hiked back to my SUV I was pleased to have had such a good day in bright sunshine and low water.

#3120516 - Tue Sep 17 2013 07:14 PM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: FrankTroutAngler]
kudu58 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Westmoreland and Elk Counties
Congratulations. The numbers don't really matter much when you catch a quality fish like that. Looks like some real nice rainbows too..

#3120575 - Tue Sep 17 2013 08:13 PM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: FrankTroutAngler]
bigt557 Offline
Honored

Loc: Fayette Co Pa
Very nice

#3120699 - Tue Sep 17 2013 09:55 PM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: FrankTroutAngler]
Trout 2003 Offline
Waterfowl and Fishing Forum Mod
VIP

Loc: SE PA
There we go! i'll trade a 100 day for that fish anytime. I'm on a big trout drought of a month now, my longest in a LONG LONG time. That is a bad boy there. Looks like its showing a little thermal stress. Just a tad light in the back end. Can that stream get near 70 in the summer?

#3120753 - Tue Sep 17 2013 11:08 PM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: FrankTroutAngler]
missed again Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Montgomery/Huntingdon County
Oh wow! What a way to end such an amazing streak. Your largest trout in 10 years!!!! Your streak was more impressive than that beast of a fish. One fish is lots of skill and lots of luck. But your streak, is lots and lots of skill.

Congrats on starting a new streak!

#3120879 - Wed Sep 18 2013 08:08 AM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: Trout 2003]
FrankTroutAngler Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Blair County
Originally Posted By: Trout 2003
There we go! i'll trade a 100 day for that fish anytime. I'm on a big trout drought of a month now, my longest in a LONG LONG time. That is a bad boy there. Looks like its showing a little thermal stress. Just a tad light in the back end. Can that stream get near 70 in the summer?

This stream does hit 70-degrees sometimes during really hot weather, but it would flush out quickly with cold spring water within a few hours. I really don't think thermal stress is an issue here.

I like catching a big trout now and then, and I enjoy fishing in places where catching big trout is likely and catching a lot of smaller trout is unlikely, but I find myself enjoying constant action on smaller trout rather than a lot less action on bigger trout. That's usually the trade-off.

I would be bored to tears fishing for salmon like in that other thread. Repeatedly casting over the same area just waiting for one to strike is not something that interests me. I like to move too much, and that can't be done sometimes on these steelhead or salmon streams due to the number of anglers. I prefer the surprise of catching a large trout in an unexpected place while fishing for smaller trout.

#3120892 - Wed Sep 18 2013 08:25 AM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: FrankTroutAngler]
Trout 2003 Offline
Waterfowl and Fishing Forum Mod
VIP

Loc: SE PA
I feel the same way but I make the switch very occasionally. I also panfish from a boat now and again. Small stream trout fish is where its at for me though. If you went salmon fishing you would be bored but you would quickly develop an admiration for the guys that do it well. It is every bit the craft the accurately casting spinner is. Those guys that are good are true professionals.

#3121759 - Thu Sep 19 2013 08:17 AM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: FrankTroutAngler]
Terphunter Offline
On the board

Loc: Northern Maryland
WOW....trout of the year...huge wild brown....awesome!! I go to Lake Ontario each year and i catch monster browns...some over 10 pounds with excelent color and hooked jaws but something about a true stream hog like that very special...grats!

#3121784 - Thu Sep 19 2013 08:36 AM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: FrankTroutAngler]
attackone Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Clearville Pa
nice fish...looks like they are starting to get there fall colors

#3122701 - Fri Sep 20 2013 09:18 AM Re: Taming The Beast [Re: FrankTroutAngler]
TurkeyMike Offline
Honored

Loc: Cambria County
Well i guess he is the fish of 100,000 cast. Given your numbers it seems you hook up nearly every cast or so, but if it was 1 trout per 10 casts he is the fish of 1,000,000 casts.

My hat is off to you for letting him go!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
160 registered (308Savage, 36years, 5chunter, 123 5/8 PY, 4x4dad, 10der222, 18 invisible), 526 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
EagleBart, Gilliland440, Turkey304, mr2143, cz550
33093 Registered Users
Recent Posts
The hand-me-down rifle
by JGR
Puffins
by crappiefever
Head shot with a bow?
by JGR
Pending: Game Fish Commission Merger Bill
by Coureur De Bois
Ladder stand lock ideas?
by mus42tang
Update on 2014 pheasants
by eight bore
Any Poults yet ?
by PaRay1
New Topics
The hand-me-down rifle
by Windwalker7
White-Nose syndrome
by m77lewis
Puffins
by crappiefever
2008 Harley Davidson Super Glide FXDC
by Pigger
10:46 AM
Joke of the Day 7/28/14
by dc 21
09:08 AM
Hands full with another three in the box...
by Lyco Setter
08:50 AM
Even dogs Do It
by Goosehunter
06:59 AM
Top Posters
great white hunter 34859
RonM 28399
RB-HPA 27728
Bluetick 23581
DennyF 22800
TATERDAVID 22552