Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Small Game Forum

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#3118288 - Sun Sep 15 2013 11:34 AM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: smirish51]
Pine-Creek Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Pa Mountains, Life Member NRA
Gentlemen,
You actually got to see the ethics of some hunters in
action, as steve3748 says, thank the Lord they are a big
minority in our hunting population. Some hunters ethics do stink, and those of us who call them on it, are hated, and called elite for doing so.
Pine Creek/Dave

Edited by Pine-Creek (Sun Sep 15 2013 11:38 AM)

#3118334 - Sun Sep 15 2013 12:57 PM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: Pine-Creek]
Marc Ret Offline
journeyman

Loc: York County
A few years ago, a couple friends and I unknowingly were hunting a local SGL on a stocking day. When we saw the stock truck coming down one of the access roads about 400 yds away, we unloaded our guns and watched to see what would happen. I counted 11 shots fired by the time the truck reached a spot about 50 yds away from us. I walked over to the truck and asked one of the guys in the back if they were the rolling skeet station. He gave a pained chuckle and said "Yeah". It turned out there was a deputy WCO in the front. He told me he had a laser range finder and was citing those individuals who shot that were within 150yds of the truck for shooting within a safety zone. He went on to say that he had cited one individual twice that morning for that same violation. Not wanting any part of what was going on there, we packed up the guns and dogs and went home.

To say I don't understand that type of behavior is an understatememnt. I guess it's the same as the guys who follow the trout stocking schedule and call it fishing.

Cheers,
Marcus

Edited by Marc Ret (Sun Sep 15 2013 12:58 PM)

#3118450 - Sun Sep 15 2013 05:39 PM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: smirish51]
Pine-Creek Offline
Pooh-Bah

Marcus,
I totally understand your frustration watching this kind of unethical sportsmanship. The only thing worse than
having your hunting day completely distroyed by this garbage
is have a young boy or girl along to witness it with you.
People like this are just plain sick, they are not out to hunt and have a good time, they just want to kill something.
I am like you, I really have no understanding of these kind of people, and sure do not want to be associated with them
in any manner.
Pine Creek/Dave

Edited by Pine-Creek (Sun Sep 15 2013 05:39 PM)

#3118580 - Sun Sep 15 2013 08:30 PM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: steve3748]
Lynnappelman Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Montour County
Originally Posted By: steve3748
Tanneryhunts,
As hard as it is to see grown men acting like that remeber they are the minority there is a lot more good ethical hunter!

It seems like most threads about stocking schedules degrades to where this thread went in comments of truck followers and slob hunters. Unfortunately, the process creates bad behavior by releasing large numbers of birds in relatively small areas. However most hunters are courteous and behave safely. Closing the area after stocking allows for higher predation and having birds scattered can be bad in the sense they leave an area open to hunting and end up on posted or other off limits areas.

Last year the PGC added additional in season releases and I could tell the difference in behavior of the hunters. The less of the "feast or famine" situation improved the season. More in season releases (perhaps 2 weekly) would spread pressure out even more. The problem is the dollar cost of increasing releases on a program that already takes a big chunk of the budget. There are changes coming in Harrisburg soon and there may be some additional improvements.

#3118633 - Sun Sep 15 2013 09:31 PM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: twistedoak]
RyanR Online   content
veteran

Loc: Carbon County, PA
Originally Posted By: twistedoak
since this is basically a wish list type thread.

the easiest way would be unannounced releases ,
but even then ,there would be truck stalkers.

next best would be sunday releases with at least Monday closures

I believe it used to be unannounced. Problem was, just like in the old trout stocking days, it wasn't totally unannounced as some of the guys doing the stocking would always tell a buddy or two where and when they were stocking. In fact I think that had a lot to do with the advent of publicly announced release dates.

Sunday releases? Heck hunters scream now over any token license increase, Sunday releases would likely mean overtime or some sort of earned benefit time off and really affect the PGC budget. But I'm with you in spirit, just a closure until the next day would be nice I think. Where I live I know exactly when they stock down the road from the house without even looking at a schedule. I know they stocked because I hear the amount of gunfire ramp up!

Good points, Lynn.

Edited by RyanR (Sun Sep 15 2013 09:42 PM)

#3118713 - Sun Sep 15 2013 11:48 PM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: Pine-Creek]
Curly Maple Online   content
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Pa
Originally Posted By: Pine-Creek
Gentlemen,
You actually got to see the ethics of some hunters in
action, as steve3748 says, thank the Lord they are a big
minority in our hunting population. Some hunters ethics do stink, and those of us who call them on it, are hated, and called elite for doing so.
Pine Creek/Dave

If a game agency has established/accepted rules then those choosing to ignore those rules are engaged in some degree of unethical action. Fines imposed as applicable. No one is an elitist for critiquing others for engaging in such actions.

Edited by Curly Maple (Mon Sep 16 2013 12:18 AM)

#3118726 - Mon Sep 16 2013 04:46 AM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: smirish51]
Takemrarely Offline
old hand

Loc: Central PA
I need to find the stocking schedule also....tells me what day to stop bowhunting SGL......

#3118891 - Mon Sep 16 2013 10:08 AM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: smirish51]
JK SE Pa Offline
On the board

Loc: SE PA
The problem with closing the stocked SGL's for a time is that these lands are open to the hunting of other game. How can you close off an entire game land because of pheasant stocking and tell the bunny and squirrel hunters they just lost time to hunt as well. It's not a perfect system, nothing would be. It's pretty much up to the individual to act in an ethical manner.

#3118907 - Mon Sep 16 2013 10:23 AM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: JK SE Pa]
Curly Maple Online   content
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Pa
I'm assuming closing it to pheasant hunting is what the suggestion intended. In all, the loss to predators vs hunters in the extra day is likely to be a wash.

I remember one archery season, when returning to my vehicle, I noticed truck tracks on a game land road. Then I heard the pheasants. I returned on the first day of the season and found 7 piles of feathers...not one pheasant. Even today, walking where the stocking takes place, it's common to find more predator kill sites than it is to see live bird. Of course, that's just my observation without use of a dog, or actually engaged with hunting them. Sort of a bystander opinion.

#3118938 - Mon Sep 16 2013 11:07 AM Re: Pheasant release schedule: [Re: smirish51]
Pine-Creek Offline
Pooh-Bah

Curley Maple,
What you say is absolutely true, however when I was younger the Game Wardens shot those flying predators so the PGC did not waste it's stocking money. In reality it's time for the state game commissions to take back their
enforcement and throw the federal governments unconstitutional laws, out of the state. Political curruption to advance gun control was forced on the states
and undermined the game commissions thru out the country.
Pine Creek/Dave

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  corey22, Moss, TurkeyMike 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
239 registered (abowhntr4life, alex folmar, 308 ruger, 284, 27 invisible), 604 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
oneoldboot, JPwillys, norwhite, Medy, Haskell
33178 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Elbow Tendonitis...
by KingRon
Random sentence game
by RonM
The last letter game
by RonM
Spinoff of Last Letter Game
by RonM
Youth Hunts
by Trout 2003
D.U. Logo "custom" Black Hoodie F/S
by CHECKSTER
Camera Issues
by 308 ruger
New Topics
Elbow Tendonitis...
by TPlank
47 minutes 37 seconds ago
Newbie to (jon)Boating
by hower131
Today at 12:45 PM
John Deere STX38 Yellow Deck
by RatherBeLucky
Today at 12:38 PM
How to keep deer out of plot?
by SoPoHunter
Today at 12:25 PM
Finish on older Savage 99
by CZARNINAKID
Today at 12:08 PM
quirky tricks you've learned
by Bearklr
Today at 11:56 AM
dog proofs
by redneck08
Today at 10:51 AM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35001
RonM 28927
RB-HPA 27747
Bluetick 23700
DennyF 22838
TATERDAVID 22583
SigPro2340 21440
Peppy 20758
DIYASUB 20241
John Henry 18919
Forum Stats
33178 Members
99 Forums
108524 Topics
1372933 Posts

Max Online: 1692 @ Mon Dec 02 2013 08:38 PM

Please note: To post or reply to posts you must be a registered member and be logged in. You can register by clicking on New User on the message board menu.