Outdoor Community

Trout Fishing Forum

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3015372 - Sat Apr 13 2013 01:21 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: bkskier]
Henry David Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kingston, Pennsylvania
It is a shame, more and more nice spots are being posted, I can't say I blame the owners though, but this outfit sounds like a sham, the PFBC should be told about it.

I agree totally with Trout_2003, it can't hurt to ask, let them know you are responsible and not a litterbug, and you will take a small bag with you to collect any litter you find. If they don't let you fish tell them you're going to contact PFBC about the matter, they deserve to get some heat out of it, greedy slime balls, lol

#3015378 - Sat Apr 13 2013 01:40 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: Henry David]
YankeeHunter Offline
The man

Loc: Wayne Co., Pa
Originally Posted By: Henry David
It is a shame, more and more nice spots are being posted, I can't say I blame the owners though, but this outfit sounds like a sham, the PFBC should be told about it.

I agree totally with Trout_2003, it can't hurt to ask, let them know you are responsible and not a litterbug, and you will take a small bag with you to collect any litter you find. If they don't let you fish tell them you're going to contact PFBC about the matter, they deserve to get some heat out of it, greedy slime balls, lol

Originally Posted By: Trout_2003
To me they are greedy slime balls posting after the stock. I can guarantee you they knew what they were doing the whole time, knew they'd post, and figured why not wait for the last freebie lol. Much like the rest of America haha.

I am not accusing you guys of doing this, but many do, ie they totally trash the place and tear up the property. Maybe the landowner is fed up with it after years of getting crapped on by unsportsmanlike guests on his land.

A good freind of mine back home in Western NY lived on the Oak (Oink) Orchard River up by Rochester a few miles from Lake Ontario. He has since passed away, but he told me evry year guys from PA and Ohio would tramp thru his yard right by his bedroom window at 500 AM, park in his driveway, and make a mess of the place with litter. Every year he called the police after asking them nicely to leave and or move their cars and being threatened, once with a gun. He posted his place too, but these dolts figured it was their right to go thru his property HE owned and HE payed taxes on.

#3015385 - Sat Apr 13 2013 02:10 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: bkskier]
trouttime Offline
On the board

Loc: PA, Cambria County
I can see why people post there land. When I'm out fishing im truly appalled by some of the garbage I see laying around and dumped.

But some of these land owners have all year to post there land, Yet wait to the water gets stocked then all of a sudden it gets posted. To me that makes it look more like I want the fishing there to myself, and has nothing to do with the litter and people.

#3015389 - Sat Apr 13 2013 02:18 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: bkskier]
trouttime Offline
On the board

Loc: PA, Cambria County
Hate to jack this thread, But I had a question kind of on this topic but abit different.

Last year I was fishing a stocked stream. The land on the right side of the stream had posted signs up. The land on the left side of the stream had NO signs up at all. Well a guy came down and told me I couldnt fish from either side, That it was all his land.

I nicely said oh ok. I didnt see any signs on this side of the stream so figured it was ok to fish from this sign. He said well there was signs there, someone must have torn them down.

Now I understand thats true, Someone could have torn them down I guess. Yet left the other side with 50 signs on it alone. And I was there just to have some fun and not cause drama so I just said ok and left the area.

My question is though. Did I have to leave the area? Does there have to be posted signs on both sides of the stream? I cant see a persons word being a legal document to post land and that there would have to be signs on both sides of the stream.

There is plenty of nice water out there to fish, and it didnt really upset me that he said it was posted. I was just curious to how that all works is all.

#3015398 - Sat Apr 13 2013 03:32 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: trouttime]
YankeeHunter Offline
The man

Loc: Wayne Co., Pa
You didn't have to leave if you had permission and it wasnt posted properly. If someone own land on one side they dont control the other bank.

#3015436 - Sat Apr 13 2013 07:08 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: bkskier]
Trout 2003 Offline
Waterfowl and Fishing Forum Mod
Stopped counting

Loc: SE PA
I agree, I can total understand why they post. In cases like this though it's not hard to imagine a landowner saying "we're going to post for good so lets just do it after the PFBC stocks" Cold but I can TOTALLY see that happening. There are just so many dirtballs out there these days.

#3015446 - Sat Apr 13 2013 07:39 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: bkskier]
Deer Tag Offline
On the board

Loc: Pa, Cambria
Well u hear guys complain that hunting weather land is posted or not if its not public land you shouldn't be on it with out permission ,,,

Same with fishing ?? whats the deference if its not public land you should have permission to be on it ?????
(How bout it )

#3015470 - Sat Apr 13 2013 08:44 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: Deer Tag]
eyefromthesky Offline
VIP

Loc: Pennsylvania
A lot of streams on private property that are stocked are posted with "Fishing Permitted" signs. There should be zero stocking on streams where access is denied as it's the anglers who are paying for the fish to be produced. Take it off the list and put those fish in areas where people can catch them in the future.

It may not be right but I guess it's been assumed over the years that stocked streams are open to fishing for the most part for the reasons stated above. Landowners have every right to restrict access on their land but they also shouldn't receive fish payed for by the public. Of course all of this wouldn't be such an issue if people would stop with the trash and less than stellar behavior.

Posting after the fact though, when you knew full well it was going to be stocked, is lame and greedy in my opinion.

Sometimes it seems so useless to remain...

#3015522 - Sat Apr 13 2013 10:39 AM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: trouttime]
Bigdady Rods Offline
On the board

Loc: Schuylkill county
Originally Posted By: trouttime
Hate to jack this thread, But I had a question kind of on this topic but abit different.

Last year I was fishing a stocked stream. The land on the right side of the stream had posted signs up. The land on the left side of the stream had NO signs up at all. Well a guy came down and told me I couldnt fish from either side, That it was all his land.

I nicely said oh ok. I didnt see any signs on this side of the stream so figured it was ok to fish from this sign. He said well there was signs there, someone must have torn them down.

Now I understand thats true, Someone could have torn them down I guess. Yet left the other side with 50 signs on it alone. And I was there just to have some fun and not cause drama so I just said ok and left the area.

My question is though. Did I have to leave the area? Does there have to be posted signs on both sides of the stream? I cant see a persons word being a legal document to post land and that there would have to be signs on both sides of the stream.

There is plenty of nice water out there to fish, and it didnt really upset me that he said it was posted. I was just curious to how that all works is all.

Trouttime
Just to answer your question. The trespassing laws read like this.
If you're told to leave and don't, you are in violation of the trespassing laws. You will have to assume that the person is telling the truth about owning the land. You do not have to have posted signs after you have been told personally not to trespass. I agree that the person who owns the land should go back out and post but he then, has no standing to have someone charged unless he can prove he told the person,gave written notice, or the person clearly saw the trespassing notice(sign) and still continued forward.

As for posting the signs on the day before fishing season, wow!!! what guts! This guy should be reported to the Fish & boat and they will not stock there again. Furthermore, I would be calling the WCO for the area and ask if he could talk with the guy and get back to you with an answer. I've seen this before where the landowner has his property open for stocking but then he stakes out tents,chairs,etc all over the good holes for his family to fish. It was always hard to get into that area to fish,as the pplace was lined up wall to wall. the only way in was to cross the creek and fish from the other side. I didn't feel a 10 inch trout was worth all that and moved on.

Big D

#3015964 - Sat Apr 13 2013 10:25 PM Re: Posting a stocked stream? [Re: bkskier]
ChrisNeffFCO Offline

Loc: Westover, PA
I think some of these landowners see the stocked fish as their payment for cleaning the banks for years and years. We had a better than usual group on my property this year, but there is still fresh trash laying around. In general, fishermen are the worst group of sportsmen when it comes to leaving trash behind. By June our trees on the bank will be full of fishing line, and if I didn't make an effort to clean up the trash, you would need waders to get through it. Beer cans, bait containers, hook packs and have even had broken poles and nets thrown on the bank. If it is empty or broken it gets left right where they emptied or broke it. Then there are all the "trash fish" that get thrown on the bank. They either lay there and stink or we get a herd of coons and possums that clean them up which is fine unless you don't want herds of coons and possums in your back yard for a month. I also don't mind catching those fish when the trout bite slows, and see if a kid is any less happy with a 15 inch fallfish or a 20 inch sucker. I think it is even worse when I see something floating down the creek. All that trash combined with the tires and countless other garbage that gets thrown in by people thinking "out of sight out of mind" makes creek front property look like a dump. It is a full time job to keep the banks clear of just brush, add the trash this time of year and it is nearly pointless. We posted our land years ago for one year. That was also pointless. The people we wanted to keep off didn't listen anyways, and cops have better things to do with their time. We most likely will not ever post it again, but every year there are half a dozen or more times from April-June that I want to grab the staple gun and signs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
252 registered (1flyfish, 32-20, 308 ruger, 007hunter, 17 furball, 257bob, 25 invisible), 639 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
Tbone, markkas, Mm1, redgtc, HeclaSportsman
33680 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Black Friday
by awm
hunting in a snowstorm
by Bearklr
WFC co. no. 175 peep sight
by fred lloyd
Mossberg 500G 20 Gauge Pump Shotgun 26" Vent Rib
by rwhmt
Notice-Dave Rodgers-furbuyer
by K Slim
Shooting Birds on the ground
by Muzz
stolen sig sauer p229 mercer county area
by gearhart15
New Topics
Mossberg 500G 20 Gauge Pump Shotgun 26" Vent Rib
by rwhmt
stolen sig sauer p229 mercer county area
by gearhart15
IAny pictures of the 677 pound Pittsfield bear?
by Bearclaw
Thanksgiving Hunt
by Live2HuntPA
06:46 AM
22 mag vs 17 hmr
by kozman4907
04:29 AM
Salt N Pepa
by atr
02:14 AM
Many of the Bolete family of shrooms are edible
by uncle buck